PDA

View Full Version : Observation for half a day

Littleglees
23-02-2013, 07:51 AM
Morning childminders,

I have a little girl of 19 months starting this week but for one day only and only for half a day (mum has young twins and she wants some time with them).

My question is, do I need or have to do observations for this child she will be here for just 5 1/2 hours one day and week and also mum said that in July she will be putting her in a play group so I'm guessing it will be a temporary contract !!

Sare x

Sare :-) x

Rick
23-02-2013, 08:22 AM
Yes you will have to do observations, but of course you don't need to do too many for 5.5 hours. I would suggest one a week or fortnight and you could combine a daily diary with obs. The fact she is leaving in July is actually irrelavant (it's four or five months anyway and children change a lot in that time)!

Hope that helps!

sarah707
23-02-2013, 08:34 AM
I am not sure what you think an observation is... so I thought I'd just chat about that with you.. people have varying views.

An observation can be a lengthy look at how a child is progressing... OR it can be a quick note to share with parents about something a child has enjoyed / done / said / seen played with.

For a very part time child I would make notes - brief one or 2 lines - sometimes with a little photo - just to help remember what the child has enjoyed doing week by week while with you and to record anything parents tell you about her home life.

Hth :D

Littleglees
23-02-2013, 08:49 AM
Thank you both :-)

Sare x

Sarah

blue bear
23-02-2013, 10:17 AM
For my little one who came one day a week for the summer holidays last year I just did a daily diary but added any observations with links in that. I stuck in pieces of her work and photographs much like I do in the learning journal.