PDA

View Full Version : Reserving right to decline admission after no payment

McKenzie
22-02-2013, 09:09 PM
Hiya, I've seen several discussions on the forum about reserving the right to stop looking after a child if fees have not been paid? Most fees policies I have seen do state this but Sarah, you mentioned something about parents being able to sue for loss of earnings?
Is this still the case, I'm sure I read somewhere on a forum that circumstances had changed but I can't find it now!!

Goatgirl
22-02-2013, 09:23 PM
Hi,
I state on all contracts that all payments must be paid in advance of childcare. IMO if the parents then don't pay, they have broken the contract anyway, so I can terminate. You could put a more specific statement i.e. If payment is not made in accordance with the terms of this contract I reserve the right to terminate the contract with immediate effect... :)

McKenzie
22-02-2013, 09:25 PM
Hi,
I state on all contracts that all payments must be paid in advance of childcare. IMO if the parents then don't pay, they have broken the contract anyway, so I can terminate. You could put a more specific statement i.e. If payment is not made in accordance with the terms of this contract I reserve the right to terminate the contract with immediate effect... :)

Thanks, I am asking for advanced payment too, so I will add in that specific statement :)

Goatgirl
22-02-2013, 10:27 PM
You're welcome :). glad to help :thumbsup:

FussyElmo
23-02-2013, 07:13 AM
I write on all my contracts in capitals no pay - no care :thumbsup:

Loushah
23-02-2013, 07:46 AM
I write on all my contracts in capitals no pay - no care :thumbsup:

I think I might start doing this in future as I am sick of people messing me about with payments.

I did tell one parent yesterday who was due to pay Monday & everyday she came up with a reason why her son wasn't coming this week than Friday she said she will bring him but can't pay till Saturday....told her that payment needs to be in advance & that I could not care for her son until she has paid.....yay....go me!!!! I hate being nasty but as my Dh says I need to have more of a back bone being self employed!

sarah707
23-02-2013, 09:03 AM
It's a tricky one McKenzie... I am insured with Morton Michel and I write my own contracts and terms and conditions.

My T & C s say that I reserve the right to cancel a contract if I am not paid - on the due date, in advance.

I know that MM will back me up on this because I can use my own documentation while I am insured with them.

If I recall, NCMA members have said on the forum that the wording on their contracts has been changed and they can do the same.

However, i always recommend members contact their insurance company first before making the decision to do anything which might impact on their business, for example being possibly sued for loss of earnings...

And remember that it should also only be used as a last resort because of the possible detrimental impact on the children.

Hth :D

jillplum
23-02-2013, 05:00 PM
I think I might start doing this in future as I am sick of people messing me about with payments.

I did tell one parent yesterday who was due to pay Monday & everyday she came up with a reason why her son wasn't coming this week than Friday she said she will bring him but can't pay till Saturday....told her that payment needs to be in advance & that I could not care for her son until she has paid.....yay....go me!!!! I hate being nasty but as my Dh says I need to have more of a back bone being self employed!

It is NOT being nasty to ask the parents to pay you on time! Stay strong :thumbsup: