PDA

View Full Version : Notice period

Bessandra
21-02-2013, 07:33 PM
Hello

Without going into too much detail at this stage (panic mode, a million and one things to do, feeling emotional :'( ), is there any way/loophole in the NCMA contract notice period when I have specified a 4 week period?
Parents have used me for two days, third day is tomorrow. I told them at the end of day two that I couldn't care for the children and I'd need to give notice.
Guess I'm looking for a cooling off period, although I didn't specify one...

Many thanks in advance x

Goatgirl
21-02-2013, 07:46 PM
Hi :),
Sounds like you're having a stressful time :(, hope things improve quickly for you :group hug:

You should still be in the settling in period, where notice isn't needed. You need to check your contract. There's also something in the small print saying you can terminate with immediate effect if you or a member of your household is intimidated or in danger of being harmed... something like that.... Just have a calm read through and you'll find the bit I mean.

Depending on your reasons, I'm sure there is more advice we could give. For now, breathe..... it will be ok :)

Bessandra
21-02-2013, 07:52 PM
Thank you :'-( having a little cry because I have a bit of sympathy .. Silly hey?

I can't find anything about settling in/cooling off, and I certainly didn't specify it.

No one is in danger, although my 22month old son is terrified when the two children get in the car.. And when the childrens father helps them
In/out of the car :-(

Basically I have bitten off ore than I can chew..

Trying to calm and breathe but all I can think about is how to get out of this mess..

X

Goatgirl
21-02-2013, 08:07 PM
oh goodness, that's awful, what's happening to make your son terrified?! :panic:

the settling in bit of the contract is on page 2 of the contract. The grey shaded area.....

On page 4 nearly half way down is the bit about notice needed to terminate the contract. below it is a list of examples where it is reasonable to terminate a contract with immediate effect. point one: "If the safetyand wellbeing of the childminder, their children or the children in their care are threatened by a parent(s)/guardian(s) or their child's behaviour".

I would say your son's well being is at risk at this point..... ?!

Bessandra
21-02-2013, 08:14 PM
No settling in period was agreed..

Like a fool I have written not applicable and not applicable in the settling in period section.

What have I done? :-(

I have no idea why my son is frightened.. He's such a confident happy little chap..
He gets into a panic as soon as he sees we've arrived to collect the children and then drop them off. I just don't get it :-(

phoenix2010
21-02-2013, 08:32 PM
If you fear for your own child safety and well being then give immediate notice

parents cannot force you to have children who your own child is upset by

Im afraid I would just bite the bullet in this circumstance

I always write my own contracts and have a one month period where either party can give immediate notice , this is long enough to know if it is going to work

the only other time i broke a one month notice period is where a child hit me , i gave a written warning that if this child intimidated other children , hit me or them or threatened violence i would give immediate notice

sure enough it happened a week later and i called mum and said , come and get her now! I have a responsibility to the other children in my care

in this instance you havnt seen anything happen , but your so is distressed , so clearly he isnt happy with them

are they your first mindees ? is he just not used to having other children around or is he normally fine and used to mindees

Bessandra
21-02-2013, 09:43 PM
Phoenix - yes I agree. He is very distressed but the NCMA contract says:
If the safety and well being of the reg childminder, their children, or the children in their care are threatened by a parent/guardian or their child's behaviour.

I just don't see how I can use this in this situation???

Bessandra
21-02-2013, 09:44 PM
Ps. No they are not my first mindees. I've had one since September, another in dec and another started beg of feb. he's a really happy sociable boy and LOVES being around others.. This is massively out of character :-(

Bessandra
21-02-2013, 09:54 PM
Pps I just know they will take this further so I really do need all bases covered... Arghhh :-(

angeldelight
21-02-2013, 09:57 PM
First you need to do yourself a cuppa and not panic and get yourself upset

I will message you

Big hugs

Angel xx

wendywu
21-02-2013, 11:17 PM
Pps I just know they will take this further so I really do need all bases covered... Arghhh :-(

Im really sorry to say that i think you are going to have to stick to your contract. Just grit your teeth and take comfort from the fact that there is no danger to your son. He is just getting upset.

For the sake of 4 weeks its not worth being dragged through the courts :panic:

jillplum
22-02-2013, 03:48 PM
If you have to carry on with the contract while you work notice, is there someone else who can look after your son? A friend or relative maybe? Not ideal but less stressful perhaps. Good luck