PDA

View Full Version : LJ and observations

serin
16-02-2013, 09:20 PM
I am thinking to have a learning journal for children in my care with all their artwork and creations in. It will also contain the long term plan and termly report for parents to write comments if they wish. I am thinking to have the observations in my own folder for my benefit or should that be in the learning journal too? I want them to take the learning journal home and I will ask for it when I need it. How do you all do it?

blue bear
16-02-2013, 09:43 PM
My learning journals contain everything, art work photos observations termly Summative assessments parent comments,anything really about the child just not serious concerns or contract accident that sort of thing.

My learning journals go home three times a year and I must admit I'm very nervous until they come back, having had parents tell me they can't find them or they might have left it at x y or z or it comes back soaked wet through having spent a couple of nights in the garden. :(

I wouldn't risk sending them home all the time, I couldn't count the number of lost daily diaries :( you would have nothing to show ofsted if they did go walk abouts.

serin
16-02-2013, 09:54 PM
My learning journals contain everything, art work photos observations termly Summative assessments parent comments,anything really about the child just not serious concerns or contract accident that sort of thing.

My learning journals go home three times a year and I must admit I'm very nervous until they come back, having had parents tell me they can't find them or they might have left it at x y or z or it comes back soaked wet through having spent a couple of nights in the garden. :(

I wouldn't risk sending them home all the time, I couldn't count the number of lost daily diaries :( you would have nothing to show ofsted if they did go walk abouts.

Yes this is what I cant work out because the art work should go to the parents but ofsted want to see them but what if they go missing :S

sarah707
17-02-2013, 07:16 AM
While the child is in your care, Ofsted want to see everything they are doing with you - artwork, photos of their creations etc AND everything you are doing with them - observations, assessments, individual planning, evidence they are making good progress etc.

There is nothing in the EYFS which says 'you must produce a learning journey / journal for every child'.

Most childminders choose to put together a file and call it a 'Learning Journey' because it's as good a way as any to demonstrate the child is making good progress - and it's lovely to share with parents and the child.

However, bluebear is right - be careful about sending them home, as they don't always come back.

We invite parents in to share their LJs and encourage them to add comments at the same time :D

serin
17-02-2013, 10:16 PM
While the child is in your care, Ofsted want to see everything they are doing with you - artwork, photos of their creations etc AND everything you are doing with them - observations, assessments, individual planning, evidence they are making good progress etc.

There is nothing in the EYFS which says 'you must produce a learning journey / journal for every child'.

Most childminders choose to put together a file and call it a 'Learning Journey' because it's as good a way as any to demonstrate the child is making good progress - and it's lovely to share with parents and the child.

However, bluebear is right - be careful about sending them home, as they don't always come back.

We invite parents in to share their LJs and encourage them to add comments at the same time :D

Thanks for your replies. I think I will give the parents the folder so that they can place the artwork in there at home and when I need it they can give it back to show Ofsted. I will have to keep all the observations, assessments and planning at home because I don't want that going missing as well if it does.