PDA

View Full Version : Agencies - government want our views

welshgirl
16-02-2013, 12:52 AM
Just came across this. Lets make our opinions known.

http://www.parliament.uk/business/bills-and-legislation/public-reading/children-and-families-bill/childcare/

loocyloo
16-02-2013, 08:12 AM
hmmmm. i was sent that link yesterday by a friend ...

i commented, but my comment is not shown. :(

sarah707
16-02-2013, 08:53 AM
We need to think how to best promote this ... let's put our heads together guys please! :clapping:

welshgirl
16-02-2013, 10:46 AM
I have not had a chance to have a good look at this or think about what I will write, it was very late last night when I saw it, but I think it is important that as many people as possible put their opinions here it is specific about Agencies and comments are going directly to the Government. I have a busy weekend transporting eldest son to various football matches! But will have a good read on Sunday night.

lisbet
16-02-2013, 10:49 AM
hmmmm. i was sent that link yesterday by a friend ...

i commented, but my comment is not shown. :(

Maybe they're just moderating it first?

Going to comment when got a chance tomorrow - anything is worth a try in case it makes them waver on this policy like they have on several others!

mum26
16-02-2013, 11:09 AM
Have shared on local facebook - hopefully they will get enough negative responses to realise the strength of feeling.

phoenix2010
16-02-2013, 11:48 AM
I am a registered childminder with 10 years experience , I am against agencies. The vast majority of childminders enjoy being self employed and have worked very hard to establish their business and provide excellent care and education to their mindees. I have no trouble finding families to work with , accessing training , and managing payments and my own paperwork. I will not be signing up to an agency and my feeling is that many experiences , excellent childminders who wish to remain independent may be forced out of business and replaced by inexperienced minders who are underpaid , undervalued and over worked. The Government does not seem to be listening to the vast majority of childminders , and I refer you to an excellent document compiled by childminders which clearly expresses all the concerns and pitfalls of these new policies and changes http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/mgc

jo.jo76
16-02-2013, 12:32 PM
Maybe they're just moderating it first?

Going to comment when got a chance tomorrow - anything is worth a try in case it makes them waver on this policy like they have on several others!

It does say it is moderated and comments that breach the online discussion rules will not be posted. But it's so difficult to write something without ranting! lol
I've done mine so will wait and see if I pass the criteria!! :laughing:

16-02-2013, 01:25 PM
I have filled it in. My main concerns (apart from the effect on my business) are that if Ofsted have improved the quality of childminders (more goods etc.) why are they moving away from this system? And what about child protection and safeguarding? Inter-agency working and communication are a known problem...so add more into the mix? These agencies will not want it known that one of "their" childminders is a problem. They are not independent as they are paid for by childminders/parents. It would be all too tempting to ignore problems or allow unsuitable childminders to quietly move on. All very worrying.

LauraS
16-02-2013, 04:19 PM
Filled in :)

sarah707
16-02-2013, 04:38 PM
Another thread here! :D

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/general-childminding-chat/114775-comment-your-thoughts-agencies-invite-uk-parliament-website.html

sarah707
16-02-2013, 05:55 PM
I got a bit cross :blush:

I will be sending my response to news agencies including Huffington Post and magazines :D

Childminders do not want agencies - have you read the document www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/mgc and taken the comments into consideration? The document has been sent to Ms Truss and we are eagerly awaiting her detailed response.

Meetings with groups such as NCMA, PLA and NDNA and academics have told Govt that childminders do not want agencies. Why isn't Ms Truss listening to her advisors?

Last year there was a petition against deregulation and agency control for childminders which reached over 11,000 signatures before it was closed - http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/uk-government-reject-proposals-to-deregulate-childminders. What part of 'childminders do not want agencies' was not clear because we can raise it again if necessary?

Agencies will mean that Local Authority support networks are disbanded - because of duplication and Ofsted becoming the 'sole arbiter of quality'. This is already happening in many local areas - talk about a fait accompli!
It will lead to thousands of high quality, established, committed and trained childminders having to either join an agency or go on benefits - so how is the 'More Great Childcare' plan giving us the option to stay independent? Anyone can work this out - they do not need an economics degree - anyone except, it appears, Ms Truss. I will be happy to explain it to her more fully if she would like to contact me.

Changing ratios for 2 year olds and babies in nurseries will risk not only outcomes for children but also severely damage childminder sustainability - and does the Govt really anticipate nurseries, with all their extra spaces for children when ratios are changed, will pass work on to childminders anyway?? You would have to be very naive to believe that. Does Ms Truss want thousands of childminders on benefits? Won't that simply negate the benefit of the people coming off benefits to start up as agency childminders?

The only people who seem to want agencies are Ms Truss and Sir Michael Wilshaw. They are outnumbered and need to listen to what the people who pay their wages and cast votes at elections are saying!!

Oh and while we are on the subject - don't forget the petitions against ratios changes which currently have in excess of 50,000 signatures between them. Here is one - perhaps you would like to read the comments from parents, childminders, early years workers and many more ... www.keepratiosdown.co.uk.

Please stop these dreadful plans before it is too late and the outcomes for the next generation of our children are compromised.

Or, as Community Playthings asked in a recent blog, 'Who will speak for the child?' Community Playthings | Who will speak for the child? (http://www.communityplaythings.co.uk/learning-library/blog/2013/february/who-will-speak-for-the-child)

We are trying to speak for the child - but nobody is listening to us!!

I cannot imagine for one moment that this will be published... I believe from my colleagues who have answered this consultation that comments are being edited or ignored... so I will be sending it to news agencies as well.

welshgirl
16-02-2013, 08:56 PM
I have e mailed them to ask why our comments are not showing.

loocyloo
16-02-2013, 09:03 PM
I have e mailed them to ask why our comments are not showing.

so have i !!!

( and likened it to ms truss only wanting to talk to people in favour of agencies! )

jo.jo76
16-02-2013, 09:06 PM
so have i !!!

( and likened it to ms truss only wanting to talk to people in favour of agencies! )

It does say it's moderated on week days, so they won;t see anything till Monday :)

loocyloo
18-02-2013, 05:11 PM
LOL!

those poor moderators ... they have had a busy day ... 76 responses posted and NOT ONE of them is in favour !!!

tori4
18-02-2013, 05:49 PM
Will do later when on pc

18-02-2013, 06:06 PM
Well my negative comments aren't up yet so I expect there are many more to come. I have sent the link to my MP, Ms Truss and other childminders and will keep doing so with reminders that consultations mean listening to and acting on the views of others. Lets get as many points across as we can. Never been such an activist before!

sarah707
18-02-2013, 06:15 PM
I am amazed they have put all the negative comments online!! It is brilliant that so many people have replied... more please!

Let's really get our message across :cheerleader::cheerleader:

SYLVIA
18-02-2013, 10:14 PM
I've asked all the parents to leave comments about not using agencies to find childminders. They are passing it on to
work colleagues and friends too. Hopefully that will get another negative perspective out there for people to think about

mazza58
19-02-2013, 02:15 PM
I have received a letter from my local mp today regarding my letter to him about my concerns of childminding agencys, in it he thanks me for the letter and will pass my concerns on to the minister in charge and get back to me when he has had a response and keep me updated. Very pleased that at least they have acknowledged my letter:clapping::clapping:

AgentTink
19-02-2013, 02:45 PM
90 responses to the question today :cheerleader: if you have not left a response please take 5 minutes tonight to add your comments.

Tunja
19-02-2013, 03:36 PM
I am amazed they have put all the negative comments online!! It is brilliant that so many people have replied... more please!

Let's really get our message across :cheerleader::cheerleader:

NCB have left a negative response too!:clapping:

Tunja

julie w
19-02-2013, 03:42 PM
I am just trying to word my thoughts. I have heard that if we are part of an agency that parents will pay the agency who in turn will pay us. Not impressed. :panic:

cbj1609
20-02-2013, 08:10 PM
I am just trying to word my thoughts. I have heard that if we are part of an agency that parents will pay the agency who in turn will pay us. Not impressed. :panic:

Will we also have to pay the agency to be registered with them - no money being saved here. They will take a percentage as their own pay and make the profit we will lose out either way. I know a nanny/babysitting agency that does this already.

loocyloo
25-02-2013, 01:45 PM
this now has responses of 215 ... still no one in favour!

i have sent it to the jeremy vine show ( along with a copy of the forums response to MGC ).

maybe other people could too?

x

tori4
25-02-2013, 02:23 PM
Will do later when on PC

AgentTink
25-02-2013, 02:26 PM
this now has responses of 215 ... still no one in favour!

i have sent it to the jeremy vine show ( along with a copy of the forums response to MGC ).

maybe other people could too?

x

I also believe that today is the last day to put comments, so please if have not done so please have your say.

Out of 56,000 childminders only 0.38% have left a comment. We all need to use as many places as possible to get our voices heard.

SYLVIA
25-02-2013, 02:30 PM
Ive given letters to parents, other childminders and friends and as yet only seen comments from parents I work with on there! Why are others not showing concern. Do you think they don't realise it has a deadline!

MaryMary
04-03-2013, 10:15 PM
I have only just seen this, so I am not able to add my own negative comments :(

I have read the first page or 2 of comments, and to my absolute horror there are TWO positive ones!! :panic: (both by the same person!!) It could be Liz Truss writing under a false name. The comments made me very cross :angry: I suppose we are all entitled to our opinions, but honestly!!??? :angry:

jo.jo76
04-03-2013, 10:18 PM
I have only just seen this, so I am not able to add my own negative comments :(

I have read the first page or 2 of comments, and to my absolute horror there are TWO positive ones!! :panic: (both by the same person!!) It could be Liz Truss writing under a false name. The comments made me very cross :angry: I suppose we are all entitled to our opinions, but honestly!!??? :angry:

If you still want to comment you can send it direct to the committee. This is the link now Have your say on the Children and Families Bill - News from Parliament - UK Parliament (http://www.parliament.uk/business/news/2013/february/have-your-say-on-the-children-and-families-bill/)

MaryMary
04-03-2013, 10:25 PM
If you still want to comment you can send it direct to the committee. This is the link now Have your say on the Children and Families Bill - News from Parliament - UK Parliament (http://www.parliament.uk/business/news/2013/february/have-your-say-on-the-children-and-families-bill/)

Thank you.

We had a meeting about this in my area last Thursday. I was aware of the agency thing, but thought it was a case of just staying independent. Unfortunately, it probably won't be that simple. I am now trying to spread the word (only about 80 of the local 180 childminders turned up). I am going to write to my MP as well (I am not expecting much of a response though, as he is a waste of space!)

sarah707
06-03-2013, 07:47 PM
This consultation received 282 responses in just a few days.

It has now closed so I will unstick the thread.

Thank you to all the forum members and other childminders who responded and made their concerns known :cheerleader: