PDA

View Full Version : Charging parents for petrol?

jo.jo76
15-02-2013, 10:05 PM
I've been to a meeting this evening and a childminder says she uses the internet to work out the distance she travels to pick up and drop off and then charges parents for petrol. I said that she couldn't do this as it is classed as a taxi but she says as long as she is providing a service in between the journeys it is fine. Is there anywhere that has a clear explanation about this as I didn't think you could charge for petrol only your time, thank you

MrAnchovy
16-02-2013, 12:08 AM
You are right she is wrong. Because this is regulated by local authority by-laws rather there isn't actually any authoritative source to confirm it, and some local authorities take it more seriously than others.

The way to get around this is to charge a single price for care including pick up/drop off - it can be a different price for each school (or for each child for that matter).

jo.jo76
16-02-2013, 11:17 AM
You are right she is wrong. Because this is regulated by local authority by-laws rather there isn't actually any authoritative source to confirm it, and some local authorities take it more seriously than others.

The way to get around this is to charge a single price for care including pick up/drop off - it can be a different price for each school (or for each child for that matter).

Thank you :-)