PDA

View Full Version : When should you use a Physical Intervention Form?

lollipop kid
14-02-2013, 06:31 PM
Hi, silly question, but I had a situation earlier and thought I'd just post. I have just opened up again today after being closed for 2 days (my son went down with D&V on Tuesday morning, and my tummy has been a bit sore since yesterday - I haven't actually vomited yet, but stomach does feel odd).

To cut a long story short, I've cleaned the place from top to bottom with bleach & disinfectant so that I could open and not take day 3 off. Plus, each time I have used the loo today, I've been spraying the seat with some "Bleach & Hygiene" spray just in case - nasty stuff.

I had just used the loo (keeping the door open to keep the one year old I'm minding within sight) and was wiping the loo seat after spraying some of this stuff. Baby wandered in and tried to touch the loo seat so I grabbed her arm and pulled her away from the loo so she didn't come into contact with it. I then put the loo seat down, put the spray on a very high shelf, washed my hands and closed the loo door. (She can open the loo door, by the way, I've just discovered.)

The child was fine but I checked her arm at the time in case I'd marked it as I'd used quite a firm grip (it was this morning around 11 ish). She didn't wince or cry or anything. Then I got to thinking that this may have been a physical intervention. I checked her arm again just before home time (4pm) and there was no mark. But thought I'd just mention it to her mum anyway and offered to do a form to record it, which she said yes to.

Is this the type of thing you should use these forms for?

I don't have a great relationship with these parents. They're leaving in a couple of weeks as they're going away for the whole of March, and are then moving the child into a nursery that works out a bit cheaper for them.

Anyway, just thought I'd ask your thoughts. My thinking at the time was just to keep the child from harm. And I've been trying to get ready for an Ofsted inspection some time this year, so have been reading up on everything (so have just made up these forms).

Thanks for reading,

L

sarah707
14-02-2013, 06:40 PM
If you feel that you intervened to keep the child safe and that you need to mention it to parents - then yes, that's exactly what you should be sharing with parents and asking them to sign for.

I hope you are ok x