PDA

View Full Version : Characteristics of learning

welshgirl
13-02-2013, 10:02 PM
I'm completing my little ones progress or developmental reviews and would like to link in the characteristics of effective learning. I'm struggling with it and don't really understand fully where their play links or which one it would link to or what to write really!! I don't know where to start, my mind is blanker than blank! I have done all their write up under the areas of learning, it's just what to write under the characteristics of my learning heading. Does anyone know where I can get more info, or would be able to share an example. Please.

jo.jo76
13-02-2013, 10:05 PM
I'm completing my little ones progress or developmental reviews and would like to link in the characteristics of effective learning. I'm struggling with it and don't really understand fully where their play links or which one it would link to or what to write really!! I don't know where to start, my mind is blanker than blank! I have done all their write up under the areas of learning, it's just what to write under the characteristics of my learning heading. Does anyone know where I can get more info, or would be able to share an example. Please.

Have you looked in the free resources area, there is something in there which should help x

thills
13-02-2013, 10:10 PM
The characteristics replaces the old box which said how they learn. Characteristics are life long skills and don't require next steps. It's merely an observation to ensure they are developing the skills, which they will develop naturally as they learn through the 7 areas. To be really simple the characteristics are how the children learn and the areas of development are what the children learn. They underpin all learning and allow a child to develop. Does that help at all?

welshgirl
13-02-2013, 10:21 PM
Thank you, I'm just confused with what to write, do I just write about what they like to play with and how they play? Mmmm, I think I may need to think about it with a fresh head tomorrow. Will have a look in free resources too.
Thank you

Tunja
14-02-2013, 09:29 AM

There is an article here
EYFS Characteristics of Effective Learning | Registered Childminding (http://www.childminding-success.co.uk/childcare/eyfs-characteristics-effective-learning/)
which may be helpful.

Tunja

Rachael's stars
28-02-2013, 02:06 AM
Try looking up schema's in play, for example if a child always lines everything up or always sorts toys into a pile that is their schema my little boys schema is lining things up that is his characteristic of learning you then use this to do is next steps and planning for example if a child has a posting schema and needs to learn their number recognition you could use old boxes ect and pop little slots in them and draw one cirlce on one then two on another and three on another and so on and use cards with numbers on ect and ask the child to match them by posting the correct card in the slot, the child will learn more through its schema and concentrate for longer and ul find learning through play much more successful hope that makes sence x