PDA

View Full Version : silly questions !

lubeam
11-02-2013, 10:45 AM
ok heres whats rolling round my head! when im minding can i :

drink coffee?
go to the loo?!
cook our tea (if mindees not styaing)
do some chores if mindees sleep at same time ( dreaming i no )
go to the bin?
bath kids? (if i have them till bed time or if they get really mucky or have an accident ?)
let older kids play upstairs if they want to?
when doing craft if one child doesnt want to participate let them go in the other room ?
let them play outside with out being outside all the time ( age appropriate obviously )

theres more im sure i just cant remember right now ! lol

silvermist
11-02-2013, 10:58 AM

drink coffee? Of course you can have a drink, I use a mug with a lid so its safer. you can get them everywhere now and New Look have some lovely owl ones!
go to the loo?! Yes you can go to the loo, I make sure the baby is in the travel cot and then shut the gates so the los cant get anywhere. I leave the door open so I can hear them. (my loo is downstairs)
cook our tea (if mindees not styaing) I prepare my tea when los are asleep and use my slow cooker most days so its more or less ready when the los go home.
do some chores if mindees sleep at same time ( dreaming i no ) Yes you can do chores when the los are asleep but I wouldnt mind betting you find yourself on this forum most of the time...thats what Im doing now! :D
go to the bin? As long as you can see or hear the los when you go to the bin thats not a problem
bath kids? (if i have them till bed time or if they get really mucky or have an accident ?) One of mine was sick everywhere so I had to bath her but write it down etc and tell parents. Most of the time you wont need to bath a child and can get away with just washing hands and faces
let older kids play upstairs if they want to?I never let any of mine play upstairs for the simple reason that my teenage daughter needs a place to escape if she wants and also you wont be able to monitor whats going on when they are up there.
when doing craft if one child doesnt want to participate let them go in the other room ?Mine have free flow play through the playroom into the lounge room so yes thats fine, as long as you can see or hear them your ok.
let them play outside with out being outside all the time ( age appropriate obviously ) I always stay outside when the little ones are out but the schoolies play in the garden with out me as I can see and hear them from the windows

Answers in red xxx

AgentTink
11-02-2013, 11:02 AM

drink coffee? yes as long as out of childs reach to avoid accidents - I dont drink mine when it is very hot i wait til it has cooled somewhat
go to the loo?! yes, however you need to risk assess in your mind how the children will all be safe, if you cant see or/and hear them. If you have a downstairs loo this is easier
cook our tea (if mindees not styaing) - yes, again as long as you not leaving the children unsupervised, depending on ages of the children etc
do some chores if mindees sleep at same time ( dreaming i no ) - yes
go to the bin? - yes, again if bin is outside of house how will you keep the children safe, i have a cheap small bin outside of my door where i place dirty nappys and at end of day empty this bin into bigger bin
bath kids? (if i have them till bed time or if they get really mucky or have an accident ?) - you would need permission slips signed from parents to do this. You can wash a child without the need for a full bath and with their nappy still on with a flannel just as well most of the time
let older kids play upstairs if they want to? yes, again it is all about risk assessment and what ages of children this would be, how would you monitor them if you are downstairs. Some minders prefer to not let mindee children upstairs as they like their children to have their own spaces with toys that do not need to be shared.
when doing craft if one child doesnt want to participate let them go in the other room ? depends on ages of children and the layout of your house, when i have 3 little ones and we are doing craft i make sure we we all stay in one room and have a range of activities out incase a child doesnt want to sit and do craft

let them play outside with out being outside all the time ( age appropriate obviously )

Everything in childminding is about keeping the children safe and secure and the easiest way to do this is to be able to supervise them at all times with more flexibility for older children of school age. Each child is different and some children are more responsible then others. As it states in the EYFS that all children must be within sight or sound at all times, you need to think about this when doing certain things in the day.

lubeam
11-02-2013, 11:20 AM
thanks silvermist thats great ! good point about them being up stairs!
its nice to no i can leave the bigger ones out side. i no if im out side with mine 13m , 5 and 8 if i had to fetch them in coz the little one needed feeding changing etc there would be some huffing and puffing going on !
there just little things that just make me wonder. i no what i do everyday with my kids but wonder if thats ok as far as ofsted are concerned!
really pleased i can still have a coffee thou :clapping::laughing::laughing:

silvermist
11-02-2013, 11:57 AM
thanks silvermist thats great ! good point about them being up stairs!
its nice to no i can leave the bigger ones out side. i no if im out side with mine 13m , 5 and 8 if i had to fetch them in coz the little one needed feeding changing etc there would be some huffing and puffing going on !
there just little things that just make me wonder. i no what i do everyday with my kids but wonder if thats ok as far as ofsted are concerned!
really pleased i can still have a coffee thou :clapping::laughing::laughing:

Glad to help. You'll always get good advise from everyone on here! :D