PDA

View Full Version : Collating Evidence to Support our cause

Childrenatheart
10-02-2013, 07:50 PM
Has anyone started collating evidence (research, reports etc.) that bears out what we know about ratios, qualifications, failing systems in other countries? I want to be able to back up my arguments with sound proof, especially if faced with meeting my local MP or the press but although there have been lots of links posted on different threads & different forums I've kind of lost track. I don't want to reinvent the wheel so before I start ploughing through stuff I've saved in weird places etc. I thought I'd check if anyone else was doing the same thing

sarah707
10-02-2013, 08:18 PM
I've been working on debunking the 'more great childcare' document and I have a huge amount of references but nothing specific to education - I'm focussing more on childminder concerns about agencies and ratios...

I am more than happy to help / proof read / look things up etc once I have come up for air - probably around the middle of next week :laughing:

What are you thinking? Early education is proven as a crap idea angle??

your MP letter is brilliant by the way - I don't know how you feel about sharing it on the forum but I have had a lot of people asking for letter writing ideas - hence my latest thread - http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/campaigns-petitions/114418-letter-writing-more-ideas.html

:D

Childrenatheart
11-02-2013, 10:02 AM
Hi Sarah
I guess I'm looking for evidence on anything related to discrediting any of the proposals really, including education, ratios and agencies. I noticed this morning Penny has started to add stuff to her 'One Voice' website (a misnomer sadly as I we still aren't 'one voice' but I understand why) so I will make use of her stuff but anything you can share would be great. We have a meeting with Tim Loughton on 1st March so I want to be on solid ground when I see him (he always makes me tongue tied lol). I'd also like to do more writing as the more of us doing that the better.
Thank you for your kind comments on my letter - it's a bit long winded but i couldn't do it justice any other way. You are very welcome to circulate and share!
Rx

rickysmiths
11-02-2013, 10:59 AM
There is a blog that has been started to help to bring together all information related to all that is going on from as many sources as possible so it is easier for people to access in one place. Sarah it might be good if you want to to add links to all your info and thoughts to it as well?

marian
11-02-2013, 01:10 PM
It would be great if we all worked together in trying to beat this :)

Marian x

lisbet
11-02-2013, 01:43 PM
I've started scouring OECD and EPPE reports to try and debunk her claim on the mumsnet chat that their research support her plans. Can put what I find on forum when finished if useful?

FussyElmo
11-02-2013, 01:44 PM
I've started scouring OECD and EPPE reports to try and debunk her claim on the mumsnet chat that their research support her plans. Can put what I find on forum when finished if useful?

Definetly Lisbet put it on the forum and also send it to Sarah :thumbsup:

rickysmiths
11-02-2013, 03:37 PM
There is a blog that has been started to help to bring together all information related to all that is going on from as many sources as possible so it is easier for people to access in one place. Sarah it might be good if you want to to add links to all your info and thoughts to it as well?

Oh the link to the blog has been removed????

marian
11-02-2013, 05:05 PM
Oh the link to the blog has been removed????

Why has the link been removed??

Marian x

mrstom
11-02-2013, 05:38 PM

Marian x

I'd like to know this too (although I probably already know). Bad form if it is for the reasons I suspect...

mum26
11-02-2013, 05:45 PM
Yes I can imagine the reason. What a shame we really do need to be united.

sarah707
11-02-2013, 05:56 PM

Marian x

Links put on the forum are removed if the link does not contain a reciprocal link back to the forum.

This has always been the case - it was Pauline's rule originally.

Once stars are introduced into a name the word stars out everywhere - in forum posts and in pms - if you star out 'and' it will disappear from everywhere on the forum including in words such as 'understand' - it's just the way the software works.

I hope that explains :D

sarah707
11-02-2013, 06:03 PM
Sarah it might be good if you want to to add links to all your info and thoughts to it as well?

Thank you for including me Ricky - sorry I haven't got back to you sooner - I have only just finished working. It's been a very long day...

I am preparing a document at the moment which will contain reference to all my research.

Once it is finished I will be very happy for it to be freely distributed via any electronic or printed media as long as it retains copyright :thumbsup:

I truly believe that if we all shout loudly enough - by whatever means we choose - we will be heard :clapping:

Thanks again for thinking of me! I just wish the days could somehow be stretched so I could fit more in!! :D

rickysmiths
11-02-2013, 06:06 PM
Thank you Sarah for the explanation. It is a shame that this one couldn't be overruled as it is for the good of all childminders and surely it shouldn't matter if there are links it is the fact that we should be seen as professionals and be one untied force on all the issues that are threatening us at the moment. Links have been posted in a lot of places to try and encourage a united front for this. Discussion is happening on all sorts of forums and blogs, in newspapers, magazines, on the radio and on TV. It was thought it would be a good idea to draw all these sources together so cms who are often alone could access all the information. I'm sure it might be possible to link to any infor here and on your blogs as well if you ask the person who started it because she is passionate about a United Front as you are. Please pm me if you want more info.

There is an interesting discussion here, unusually civilised!:

Changes to childcare announced - nursery child: staff ratios to be relaxed (http://www.netmums.com/coffeehouse/general-coffeehouse-chat-514/news-current-affairs-topical-discussion-12/882208-changes-childcare-announced-nursery-child-staff-ratios-relaxed.html)

sarah707
11-02-2013, 06:17 PM
There is an interesting discussion here, unusually civilised!:

Changes to childcare announced - nursery child: staff ratios to be relaxed (http://www.netmums.com/coffeehouse/general-coffeehouse-chat-514/news-current-affairs-topical-discussion-12/882208-changes-childcare-announced-nursery-child-staff-ratios-relaxed.html)

Thank you for sharing!

Yes... for that forum - it is very civilised.

I think everyone is against the ratios changes - parents because they recognise it won't be good for the children... most nurseries because they realise it will be a lot harder work and not sustainable... and childminders for the same reasons plus lots more of course.

Let's hope all the negativity is heard!

Have you all written to your MPs yet?

I put some letter writing ideas on the forum for everyone yesterday - http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/campaigns-petitions/114418-letter-writing-more-ideas.html :D

rickysmiths
11-02-2013, 06:27 PM
Yes Sarah I have written to my MP and have yet to even receive a reply, I haven't even got an automated response! At least I got that and a reply from Ms Truss even if it was the same reply everyone seemed to get :rolleyes:

FussyElmo
11-02-2013, 06:34 PM
Very civilised but it is only 3 pages long.

Im sure the cm bashers will be on soon as I do believe there is members across there who deliberately try to stir matters and post things just to make a point or to start an argument. Cant be doing with all that rubbish myself :thumbsup:

But I do agree with you Sarah I wish the days were longer and I dont do all the extras you do :clapping:

rickysmiths
11-02-2013, 11:23 PM
Links put on the forum are removed if the link does not contain a reciprocal link back to the forum.

This has always been the case - it was Pauline's rule originally.

Once stars are introduced into a name the word stars out everywhere - in forum posts and in pms - if you star out 'and' it will disappear from everywhere on the forum including in words such as 'understand' - it's just the way the software works.

I hope that explains :D

Sarah if you look at the Blog there is not only the link to this forum but also a link to the Petition you started so I would have thought this more than met the requirements of this forum? Surely allowing the link to stand would lead people to you Petition and allow them to access as much of the information about all the current issues as possible?

sarah707
12-02-2013, 07:26 AM
Sarah if you look at the Blog there is not only the link to this forum but also a link to the Petition you started so I would have thought this more than met the requirements of this forum? Surely allowing the link to stand would lead people to you Petition and allow them to access as much of the information about all the current issues as possible?

I have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with making these decisions - I will draw your post to the attention to those who do :D

rickysmiths
12-02-2013, 07:28 AM
I have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with making these decisions - I will draw your post to the attention to those who do :D

Thank you Sarah.

FussyElmo
12-02-2013, 07:39 AM

Poor Sarah do you need those hours in the day again :D