PDA

View Full Version : please help

llkbabob
09-02-2013, 07:23 PM
i am really stuck as to how to start with all the planning observations learning journeys etc...
my ey co oridinator is no help what so ever !!
i now what i have to do in my head :) just putting it all down on paper is making my scream, could someone please help my start somewhere
i am starting to mind a 22 month old and a 2year old
please please help:blush:

Koala
09-02-2013, 10:11 PM
It is daunting for everyone at first
9 years into childminding and still I have panicks about paperwork. :panic:
Lots of ideas from different sites can help, if you like your pc Orbit is good as it has lots of prompts to help without having to trawl through EYFS docs :clapping:
NCMA and if you are a member I always found my rep really helpfull
childcare and childminding sites also have examples and suggestions.
It's all very individual and everyone developes their own system eventually, remember it's what works for you. And don't panic ;) you will get there eventually

Rick
09-02-2013, 10:12 PM
i am really stuck as to how to start with all the planning observations learning journeys etc...
my ey co oridinator is no help what so ever !!
i now what i have to do in my head :) just putting it all down on paper is making my scream, could someone please help my start somewhere
i am starting to mind a 22 month old and a 2year old
please please help:blush:

Planning-wise, I do a sheet of A4 for my weekly planning. It is just a table, with columns for the day, children present, activists planned, resources required and evaluation of activity.

See this thread and my example. Lots of people liked it, some questioned it, but at the end of the day you have to use what works for you.

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/paperwork-policies-procedures-permissions-forms-contracts-booklets/112458-should-i-write-planning-down.html

I do individual planning. The following document from Sarah should help
http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/Free%20downloads/Resources/Individual%20planning%20and%20the%20EYFS.pdf

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/Free%20downloads/Resources/Play%20plan%20%26%20obs%20-%20forum.pdf

Several good docs here on observation and assessments. The doc above is a useful obs sheet also.
Observing Children (http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/Free%20downloads/observingchildren.html)

Sarah has written a good document here on learning journeys
http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/Free%20downloads/Resources/Learning%20Journeys.pdf

Basically my learning journal is a nice looking a4 pad, I put the children's picture and name on the front, All About Me form from the child's parents on the first page and the rest is in chronological order, whether it be an observation/assessment, photo, artwork etc.

Lots of good stuff in the free resources section of this forum which should hopefully help you further

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

blue bear
09-02-2013, 10:31 PM
Where are you? Maybe you can find a local minder on here to buddy up with for support, seeing different learning journeys help bring your own ideas to life. Research online there are examples to be found using google. Try learning journals, learning stories, eyfs planning and eyfs observations.

Planning comes from the children in the most part, keep it simple. So you ask mummy to fill in an all about me form or whatever you decide to call it, one of the questions should be what does your child like doing, they answer cars. You have your first plan, you write on your plan for Monday cars and car mat, lo comes on Monday plays with the cars and likes driving them under the sofa, so your source a cardboard box which you help him to cut out and draw on to make a garage, he loved doing that so then you add paint...... And on it goes, one thing leads to another. Keep it simple and doable, don't make planning complicated or you just won't keep it up. You can make yourself a planning sheet or use a diary whatever you find suits you, things will evolve and change over time as your experience develops.

Now the learning journey,

You take photos of lo drawing on the box, you write, x holds the pen in his right hand using his whole hand and makes circular patterns. Link to physical, handling and moving, next steps, provide a variety of actives that involve large shoulder movements.... You have another plan, you put in your plan wave ribbons around in the wind. Lo comes and wants to dance with the ribbons to music, he really enjoys it, so the next day you give him a scarf to play with and on it goes.
To begin with aim for one observation a week, you can add other photos and pices of child's work unlinked if you want to, encourage the family to send in photos and pieces of work to go in the learning journal too.
Try to write your observation up the day it happens, just leaving space for the photo once you have managed to print them, that way it doesn't get too ontop of you.