PDA

View Full Version : which answer did/would you put?

LittleAcorns
26-06-2008, 04:48 PM
I recently completed my ICP and one of the questions has been grating a bit, its about child abuse.....

Along the lines of, A child suffering abuse would...

1 fail to thrive
2 have marks around their groin
3 have a loss of appetite
4 have bruises around the tops of their arms

one answer.......which one?? I'll tell you what I put later....

FizzysFriends
26-06-2008, 04:52 PM
I'd say 1, the others might happen but the question says would happen.

Although I haven't done might get so might want to wait for someone else to give a proper answer.

Pauline
26-06-2008, 04:53 PM
How can you pick just one when you don't know which type of abuse they mean? Every answer fits!

..........but if I had to pick one to fit the question as it is written then I would choose 1. because failing to thrive would show in all types of abuse, in my opinion.

:)

foxy lady
26-06-2008, 04:59 PM
ive done mine and passed
im sure they would have put which type of abuse it was ie:
physical
emotional
sexual

then the answer would be more obviouse
ie:
sexual abuse - marks around the groin
physical- marks on tops of shoulder
mental abuse- failire to thrive
iyswim

i think that if they did not say waht sort of abuse it was it wouls be impossible to answer as all of them could be a sign

sarah707
26-06-2008, 04:59 PM
By a process of elimination ...

I wouldn't look at a child's groin and it's not just physical abuse the question is talking about...

Same with the arms one ...

Loss of appetite can be for lots of different reasons like illness ...

So it would have to be the 1st one, but 'failure to thrive' is such a wide reaching statement ...

And I know 2 little boys who were terribly abused who managed to 'thrive' as in eat and sleep and appear ok to the world ...

Not a good question I don't think :(

wendywu
26-06-2008, 05:28 PM
No 1 i would say.:( Not a nice subject.

katickles
26-06-2008, 05:32 PM
Yeah I agree that they are all signs, & without knowing the type of abuse then it could be any.

I do agree with the others on #1

sue m
26-06-2008, 06:04 PM
When I did the ICP exam, we all said they gave questions that we couldn't just choose one answer but we had to and we did. I passed anyway. I did wonder if everyone passes. I suppose not though.

Sue x

Blaze
26-06-2008, 06:34 PM
By a process of elimination ...

I wouldn't look at a child's groin and it's not just physical abuse the question is talking about...

Same with the arms one ...

Loss of appetite can be for lots of different reasons like illness ...

So it would have to be the 1st one, but 'failure to thrive' is such a wide reaching statement ...

And I know 2 little boys who were terribly abused who managed to 'thrive' as in eat and sleep and appear ok to the world ...

Not a good question I don't think :(

Same...but it was 2 sisters in my case.:(

Banana
26-06-2008, 06:54 PM
id say no.1

x

nannan
26-06-2008, 07:12 PM
I agree not only not a very nice subject but also quite difficult with the chooses but like everyone else I would of also have chosen number 1 and think when I did my icp that's what I did choose but as it was quite awhile I cant remember, I do remember some of the others on the course with me got a couple of questions wrong for not reading the questions and answers properly.

Lou
26-06-2008, 07:42 PM
Stupid question with stupid answers.

i did my icp yrs ago when it was an assignment but i am doing my DHC now so have had to redo my ICP (unit 1) to complete DHC.

Have to say there were sooo many questions where at least 2 or 3 answers could have been right, luckily i passed but its easy to see how many dont.

FYI i would say 1 also.

avril
26-06-2008, 08:00 PM
I agree probally number 1 but again not knowing any further details hard to give a correct answer.

miffy
26-06-2008, 08:10 PM
I'm going with 1 too but only because the other answers are too specific

miffy xx

Heaven Scent
26-06-2008, 08:24 PM
I'd go with 1 also but some of the other questions were much more vague than this I hated the ones with the 2 part answers.

Good luck, is it only in Cheshire where the exam has been done away with?

mertonparker
28-06-2008, 08:50 PM
Hi,
I agree with everone else...They all fit some type of abuse, however I would say 1. Not all abused children receive bruises & marks-but most are likely to "fail to thrive"

We (my friend and I) found a "debate" question in the rear of our diploma in home-based childcare book (in the mutliply choice question section)
It was "What car doors should have child locks on"
A) front doors only
B) rear doors only
C) all doors

we said rear doors or doors where the children are located next to. However the correct answer in my book states all doors ! We think this is a safety issue-as we couldnt get out if we had been involved in a car accident, however in my friends book it states all doors ?

Let us know your answer please.x

Mollymop
28-06-2008, 08:54 PM
I dunno!! It is difficult, that one, I would put either 1 or 2 but I can't decide which as it could be all of them, that is the problem with ICP exams.
Thrive to me is a strong word it means does not wan tto live a normal lofe anymore or can not live - so it could be that one.
Abused could mean sexually or emotinallyt so very difficult question if the question was not specific

Willowdancer
05-07-2008, 12:05 PM
No. 1 - that was the answer on one of the practice papers I did about a fortnight ago.

I found all the questions on the practice papers, and the real exam, totally open to interpretation so it was a case of trying to work out which answer was the one the person who wrote the test paper was thinking of at the time. Thank goodness they don't do the "statement A - reason - statement B" questions anymore though!!

I passed the practice papers - goodness knows about the exam. Hopefully I will hear nothing, and then I'll know if I passed or not.

LittleAcorns
05-07-2008, 12:22 PM
Hi,
I agree with everone else...They all fit some type of abuse, however I would say 1. Not all abused children receive bruises & marks-but most are likely to "fail to thrive"

We (my friend and I) found a "debate" question in the rear of our diploma in home-based childcare book (in the mutliply choice question section)
It was "What car doors should have child locks on"
A) front doors only
B) rear doors only
C) all doors

we said rear doors or doors where the children are located next to. However the correct answer in my book states all doors ! We think this is a safety issue-as we couldnt get out if we had been involved in a car accident, however in my friends book it states all doors ?

Let us know your answer please.x

Hiya, personally, I would just say the doors that children have access to, like you say if you were in an accident and none of the doors could be opened from out side it would be drastic......hubby and I have always kept our doors unlocked

I think this question is definately open for debate

sarah707
05-07-2008, 03:56 PM
Hiya, personally, I would just say the doors that children have access to, like you say if you were in an accident and none of the doors could be opened from out side it would be drastic......hubby and I have always kept our doors unlocked

I think this question is definately open for debate

Where I live, I keep my doors open ... but when I have driven in the city (both Manchester and London) the advice from police is to lock your doors to prevent car jackers getting in :eek: