PDA

View Full Version : Planning for children under 3 - help please!

TehTeh
06-02-2013, 09:36 PM
Sorry for asking a really silly question...

I am just starting out and have been reading all about planning, observations, learning journals etc. Am I right in thinking that for children under 3 I wouldn't be doing planning as such? e.g. no monthly topics as I am supposed to plan based on what they are interested in!? Which could change weekly. Hope that makes sense.....

I'm so confused :panic:

serin
08-02-2013, 09:29 AM
Sorry for asking a really silly question...

I am just starting out and have been reading all about planning, observations, learning journals etc. Am I right in thinking that for children under 3 I wouldn't be doing planning as such? e.g. no monthly topics as I am supposed to plan based on what they are interested in!? Which could change weekly. Hope that makes sense.....

I'm so confused :panic:

Ok I think I am finally getting my head around it. I have a 15 and 16 month old and was so confused.

Firstly google bromley childminding and find the eyfs observations assessment and planning. You can get the planning templates from the planning bit. This site has all the templates and samples so you can get an idea. The way I choose the topics for the month is by reading the last column in the development matters (Enabling Environments:what adults could provide) and I come up with a topic like that. I then use the first column to bullet point what I will cover for the 7 areas of learning. My short term plan is then my activities I will do each day based on the topic.

sarah707
08-02-2013, 10:08 AM
Group planning is mostly used for older children - yes - over 3s and rising 3s who are interested in learning about new things and expanding their horizons.

Younger children - especially until the prime areas of learning are established - should have individual / next steps plans in place.

An Ofsted inspector recently required a childminder to have 'daily learning intentions' in place for all her young children. This is something I am going to tackle in a thread very soon.

hth :D