PDA

View Full Version : Feeling a bit down

tinks carer
04-02-2013, 06:03 PM
I have been feeling a bit down these last few weeks and feel that I should be taking some meds for it but I'm worried if I go to the docs and get prescribe some depression tablets I won't be able to carry on with childminding
I haven't had my ofsted visit yet and I'm worried this cause me not to be able to continue with childminding

What would you guys advise would be the best way to go ?

Rick
04-02-2013, 06:06 PM
I have been feeling a bit down these last few weeks and feel that I should be taking some meds for it but I'm worried if I go to the docs and get prescribe some depression tablets I won't be able to carry on with childminding
I haven't had my ofsted visit yet and I'm worried this cause me not to be able to continue with childminding

What would you guys advise would be the best way to go ?

Well the most important thing is your health. I would go and see the doctor and see what they say and then take it from there :thumbsup:

mrs robbie williams
04-02-2013, 06:11 PM
taking anti depressants wont stop you from childminding as long as doctor says its ok to continue xx

jadavi
04-02-2013, 06:12 PM
It shouldnt affect your ofsted decision - a lot of child minders are on anti depressants; they dont expect us to be wonder women and men.
I think it would only be extreme depression that would affect it and it doesnt sound like things are that bad.
I wouldnt let it stop you going to the doc but I can imagine you are worried about it.

Hugs; maybe the weather isnt helping and things may start looking up with longer days (eventually...)

sarah707
04-02-2013, 06:18 PM
Put your health first xx

chriss
04-02-2013, 06:38 PM
I would say that if its been just a few weeks, go to your GP and ask for a blood test just to check what is going on physically. It could be your hormones, thyroid, Vitamin B12 is on the low side, anaemia. I suppose the list is a bit endless. Dont assume some pills are gonna make it all better, think it through and talk it through first ((hope u feel better very soon))

Maza
04-02-2013, 07:26 PM
Just sending you a big hug. x

shortstuff
05-02-2013, 06:37 AM
Surely ofsted would see it as a good move to get help? If thats how you feel put yourself first and ultimately it will mean you are providing a better environment for you, your family and the setting.

Claireabella7
05-02-2013, 10:06 AM
Big hugs to you :group hug:

I was diagnosed with depression about 2 years ago after feeling down for nearly a year, I decided I needed some input from my GP. She was lovely and decided the first course of action would be to go for some therapy, I had an initial assessment with a psychologist and we decided between us that cognitive behaviour therapy would be best for my circumstances, and so thats what treatment I recieved. There was no mention of pills, so dont assume you will automatically be put on medication because theres lots of different therapies out there that your GP might like to try first. Apparently the side effects of pills can be awful, so I think they avoid using then unless deemed necessary or other therapies arent working. Anyway, I registered as a childminder last year, having overcome the depression and when OFSTED visited, they were aware of this because of course I declared it. She just asked if I was aware of the symptoms of suffering with depression again and if I recognised them, would I seek the appropriate help. To which I replied of course. She was more than happy with this, so I believe this shows that as long as you get the help when you need it, it shouldnt be a problem, obviously unless it affected you to the extent that you were unable to work.
Hope this helps and prevents you from worrying. Also like others have said there could be an underlying cause for you to feel like this. GP will probably also suggest a good diet/plenty of excercise too.
Let us know how you get on
Claire xx

Katie1980
05-02-2013, 06:36 PM
I have just been through this personally, I did have a problem with depression etc, but in 18 months I have not had any bad thoughts as long as you are honest with Ofsted on your declaration medical form they will refer it to the Occupational Health team I had a private medical and they have written another letter to my Dr and although it looks bad your Dr ultimately knows you the best and occupational Health will take all this into account and you can see the report before it is sent to ofsted.
mine looks grim but the plus is I am determined to put my past behind me completely which included moving house and removing things that caused my depression all of which I have stated so here's hoping that someone is sensible and gives me a chance x