PDA

View Full Version : are you thinking about taking on an assistant??

Bluebell
02-02-2013, 09:07 PM
It might be worth contacting job centre plus as they offer lots of incentives and advice for taking on someone who is unemployed.

I'm not in a position to take on an assistant at the moment but have been considering it and if I did decide to take someone on could claim a percentage of what I pay the person initially. Also because I have decided not to take anyone on at the moment I've decided to take on a volunteer. She's 19 fully qualified to level 3 and has 1st aid but because of lack of experience is struggling to get a job. Where she did her placement speak highly of her too. She can come to work for me for up to 8 weeks and I don't have to pay her and she doesn't lose her benefits but she will (hopefully) gain good experience. I also am required to give her a reference to aid her get work. There are lots of different options. If you are thinking long term an apprenticeship could be a possibility.

The job centre have been full of really good advice and I'm really impressed with the person they selected for me. When I met her I was really relieved as I'm quite apprehensive about it all.

Ofsted were also really helpful and explained I didn't have to pay anything for her CRB check (or whatever its called now) as it is included in my annual fee. I'm really impressed with that and could have more assistants if I wanted and still wouldn't need to pay any more.
She can start work for me as soon as they have started the process - don't even need for it to come back and as she had one for her college course / placement it might be quick anyway.

I've also spoken to HMRC and they've explained that if this is their only job and I pay them less than £106 I do not need to worry about NIC or PAYE as it is under the thresh-hold.

It's a huge relief to realise that if if I do take someone on it may not need to be as complicated as I feared! Anyway I hope that helps someone else who is considering it but obviously I'd recommend you checking it all out yourself too so you know I've got my facts straight and not got myself all confused!!

cathtee
02-02-2013, 10:26 PM
Thanks for this useful information, I think its very daunting for anyone to think about taking on an assistant as not knowing the ins and outs
puts a lot of us off.

Thanks again:thumbsup: