PDA

View Full Version : Arghhh, my pre reg inspection is next friday!

halor
01-02-2013, 04:37 PM
I'm in a total panic! I could feel my tummy churning as soon as ofsted called to arrange! I've for sooooo much to do!

Littleglees
01-02-2013, 05:13 PM
I felt the same when I had the call in August, I was so nervous I even told her on the day and she said not to be nervous she was here to help !! As long as your risk assesments are in order and polices you will be fine, have the booklet in front of you with your notes in as you can refer to them anytime and good luck, let us know how u get on :-) , Sare x

Sent from my iPhone using Childminding Forum

Littleglees
01-02-2013, 05:14 PM
I felt the same when I had the call in August, I was so nervous I even told her on the day and she said not to be nervous she was here to help !! As long as your risk assesments are in order and polices you will be fine, have the booklet in front of you with your notes in as you can refer to them anytime and good luck, let us know how u get on :-) , Sare x

halor
01-02-2013, 07:05 PM

Thank you, will be in here whooping for joy if it goes ok :-)

Binney
01-02-2013, 07:56 PM
Hi Halor,

Got my call this afternoon and she's coming on monday morning. I too am soooo nervous! No advice I'm afraid but just wanted to swing by and wish you the very best of luck. If mine goes well I'll write again with anything I think may be helpful to you :-)

halor
01-02-2013, 08:08 PM
Hi Halor,

Got my call this afternoon and she's coming on monday morning. I too am soooo nervous! No advice I'm afraid but just wanted to swing by and wish you the very best of luck. If mine goes well I'll write again with anything I think may be helpful to you :-)

Good luck willow! Fingers and toes crossed x

Littleglees
01-02-2013, 09:08 PM
Good luck both it will be fine :-) If I got through it anyone can :-) I have my grading inspection in a few weeks and now im scared lol x

Sarah's Jellytots x

Mia73
01-02-2013, 09:31 PM
It is not that bad you think it is! I had two ladies and they were lovely.It was more about making sure I have understood everything and giving some advice.now six months later I am looking after 8 children and loving it!

TAZ
01-02-2013, 10:22 PM
Good luck for your reg inspections:)

Goldilocks
01-02-2013, 10:39 PM
Good luck! i'm sure all will go ok :clapping: I am still waiting for the call from ofsted for my first visit :panic:

Traceyx
01-02-2013, 10:49 PM
Good luck with your registrations.. I had mine this week. My lady was lovely.

She asked me to think of a activity for each of the 7 areas of development and how that activity links to the areas.

She looked through my policies and risk assessments..

She said feel free to look through your notes and read from them if i felt stuck at any time. I didn't really have to do that personally but it does help!

2 cups of tea and 2 hours later she was on her way!

Again, good luck, its nothing to actually worry about..

mmichellled
04-02-2013, 04:08 PM
Good luck!

Those of you who mentioned you had your visit. How much detail do you feel you need to go in to? I am preparing for mine now and have a habit of ove rpreparing for things so don't want to do too much. At the moment I am working on the first questions about different activities and how they relate to the 7 areas.

Binney
05-02-2013, 02:20 PM
Hi Halor,

Had my inspection yesterday and it went really well - phew! My inspector was really lovely and she says she's recommending me for registration :-D So pleased!

Like mmichellled I tend to over-prepare and yesterday was no different. In honesty, I spent hours getting the house ready and she only looked round very briefly at the end and I had all my documents available but only about half of them got seen. Would I do anything differently? Absolutely not. My inspector said that since the EYFS changes, Childminders need to be ready to start straight away (before it was all about what you intend to put in place). Furthermore, each inspector is different and it really helped me knowing that I had all basis covered. That said don't stress out too much. If you can demonstrate a basic knowledge and understanding of what is required from you, they are more than likely to assist you and make suggestions. E.g. she said that I needed to add a page to my starting points booklet and explained what it should entail and why. She didn't just mark me down or write me off.

Where I fell a little short was that on my notes under learning and development, I had listed an example of an activity for a very young child and a four year old for each of the seven areas as asked but she actually wanted lots of examples for each. So, if I were to give any advice it would be to go through your Development Matters booklet and get some inspiration for activities you would use. I had a lot of activity ideas but felt a little thrown and nervous so drew a blank on some of them. She could tell though and was perfectly helpful. As long as you show you've got the basic knowledge and understanding, you'll probably find them quite helpful. Mine would say things like 'how about shape sorting as a mathematic activity for young children'. This section actually felt more like a conversation; an exchange of ideas, than an interview.

I don't know if you saw Jo1988s post recently but she mentioned going through all the interview questions and having documents that support you. I couldn't agree more.

-Know your safeguarding

-Know your ratios and space requirements and how many children of what age you're applying to care for

-Know your EYFS and what is required of you. Read through your EYFS book and consider how you meet the requirements. E.g. The EYFS says that no can smoke on your premises, even in the garden, when minded children are present. So I have a No Smoking Policy and have a no smoking sign on my noticeboard.

As long as you go through the interview questions, use your eyfs documents to help you answer them and make notes (which you will be allowed to refer to if needed) and have ready any documents that will help support you (your portfolio, p&ps, any forms you may have, etc) you will be absolutely fine!

Oh and at the beginning they ask questions about you, a lot of stuff that was on the app form - do you drink? where do you store alcohol? do you take drugs? they go through your medical history. Criminal convictions. It's important that you're honest! And mine asked about work history including dates. Luckily I had a copy of my CV with me (read somewhere that they ask about that stuff and my memory for dates is shockingly awful!)

Any specific questions, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to help. Sorry for rambling on so much but I hope some of this was helpful :-/

[I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine! Best of luck!!!

halor
05-02-2013, 09:27 PM
Hi Halor,

Had my inspection yesterday and it went really well - phew! My inspector was really lovely and she says she's recommending me for registration :-D So pleased!

Like mmichellled I tend to over-prepare and yesterday was no different. In honesty, I spent hours getting the house ready and she only looked round very briefly at the end and I had all my documents available but only about half of them got seen. Would I do anything differently? Absolutely not. My inspector said that since the EYFS changes, Childminders need to be ready to start straight away (before it was all about what you intend to put in place). Furthermore, each inspector is different and it really helped me knowing that I had all basis covered. That said don't stress out too much. If you can demonstrate a basic knowledge and understanding of what is required from you, they are more than likely to assist you and make suggestions. E.g. she said that I needed to add a page to my starting points booklet and explained what it should entail and why. She didn't just mark me down or write me off.

Where I fell a little short was that on my notes under learning and development, I had listed an example of an activity for a very young child and a four year old for each of the seven areas as asked but she actually wanted lots of examples for each. So, if I were to give any advice it would be to go through your Development Matters booklet and get some inspiration for activities you would use. I had a lot of activity ideas but felt a little thrown and nervous so drew a blank on some of them. She could tell though and was perfectly helpful. As long as you show you've got the basic knowledge and understanding, you'll probably find them quite helpful. Mine would say things like 'how about shape sorting as a mathematic activity for young children'. This section actually felt more like a conversation; an exchange of ideas, than an interview.

I don't know if you saw Jo1988s post recently but she mentioned going through all the interview questions and having documents that support you. I couldn't agree more.

-Know your safeguarding

-Know your ratios and space requirements and how many children of what age you're applying to care for

-Know your EYFS and what is required of you. Read through your EYFS book and consider how you meet the requirements. E.g. The EYFS says that no can smoke on your premises, even in the garden, when minded children are present. So I have a No Smoking Policy and have a no smoking sign on my noticeboard.

As long as you go through the interview questions, use your eyfs documents to help you answer them and make notes (which you will be allowed to refer to if needed) and have ready any documents that will help support you (your portfolio, p&ps, any forms you may have, etc) you will be absolutely fine!

Oh and at the beginning they ask questions about you, a lot of stuff that was on the app form - do you drink? where do you store alcohol? do you take drugs? they go through your medical history. Criminal convictions. It's important that you're honest! And mine asked about work history including dates. Luckily I had a copy of my CV with me (read somewhere that they ask about that stuff and my memory for dates is shockingly awful!)

Any specific questions, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to help. Sorry for rambling on so much but I hope some of this was helpful :-/

[I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine! Best of luck!!!

Thanks so much willow, will let you know how it goes x

drew
06-02-2013, 03:29 AM
hellllllo! :)

im new to this site but it looks very encouraging and supportive.

i have been on my induction and i will soon be going on my weeks course. iam very optimistic about the future but wondered how long after this would i have an inspection.
could anyone help?

much appreciated
Drew

halor
09-02-2013, 04:26 PM
Well.............................................. .....I did it! The ofsted lady said she is recommending me. I'm sooooooo pleased!:clapping:

She was here for 4 hours which was slightly terrifying although she was very nice. One of the things that concerned me was my uber small house. When she measure she said I only missed out on the full 6 by 1.5 metres. 5 children is quite enough though thankyou.

I'm hoping my certificate comes super quick so I can get out there and advertise (i'm too worried i'll jinx myself If I advertise before) I need some kiddiwinks to look after!

halor
09-02-2013, 04:30 PM
Hi Dru,

In total it took me 2.5 months from my pre-registration course, I applied to ofsted the first week of January and had my ins p:Dection yesterday

hellllllo! :)

im new to this site but it looks very encouraging and supportive.

i have been on my induction and i will soon be going on my weeks course. iam very optimistic about the future but wondered how long after this would i have an inspection.
could anyone help?

much appreciated
Drew

lubeam
11-02-2013, 10:27 AM
wow halor thats really quick ! i best get riskk assessing !! :)

frankies mummy
11-02-2013, 11:30 AM
Hi everyone, I'm new to this, I have my pre registration inspection coming up, and was looking for ideas of a play activity I can use that includes the seven areas of learning.... I have a couple of ideas but want something a little more simpler, because when I'm under pressure I will forget everything :( reeeeaaaaalllly nervous xxx

Rachael's stars
11-02-2013, 02:05 PM
Well.............................................. .....I did it! The ofsted lady said she is recommending me. I'm sooooooo pleased!:clapping:

She was here for 4 hours which was slightly terrifying although she was very nice. One of the things that concerned me was my uber small house. When she measure she said I only missed out on the full 6 by 1.5 metres. 5 children is quite enough though thankyou.

I'm hoping my certificate comes super quick so I can get out there and advertise (i'm too worried i'll jinx myself If I advertise before) I need some kiddiwinks to look after!

This is the same thing iv been worried about, i have a medium sized living room and a decent size dining room, it is a three bed but i really hope i get the full 6, how big is your house?

halor
11-02-2013, 02:34 PM
This is the same thing iv been worried about, i have a medium sized living room and a decent size dining room, it is a three bed but i really hope i get the full 6, how big is your house?

My house is very, very small! We only have a galley kitchen, toilet and medium sized living room downstairs. Upstairs won't be in use unless I have a lo who has regular naps an I'll have a travel cot in my bedroom. My house is only 2 bedroom and I feel quite strongly that my kids, who already share a room, should have their own space that the minders aren't allowed to use. Apparently I only just missed out on the full numbers but to be quite honest I think it will be a long time till I feel capable enough to look after 6 children and give them all the attention they need. Hopefully by that point I'll be living in a bigger house. Also, my son is in school so I don't have him during the day and my daughter is about to start pre-school so hopefully with some juggling I could have the full number when they aren't there, depending on variations I can have in school holidays.

My house is so small that the inspector actually measured my available space on the living room with a tape measure!

The inspector asked quite a few questions that aren't on the 'preparing for your visit document' which threw me slightly but it was fine. I had about 5/6 activities for each of the areas of learning, in my panic I had forgotten the last sheet and worked off the top if my head which she said was good.

I had all if my policies done but she only looked at the ones that I HAVE to have.

I had started looking at planning and observation strategies and she was really helpful.

It was a long visit, 4 hours, but the lady was so lovely it didn't really feel like it :-)

McKenzie
15-02-2013, 10:26 PM
Hi All

This thread has been so helpful to me so far, everyone has put some great advice! I've got my visit Tuesday 19th and I too have a major tendancy to overprepare! I've got a lot of policies and procedures done and relevant paperwork. The playroom (well our living room has been taken over) is srted and I have gone a bit overboard on resources, but at least that means I can pick out lots of examples for her.
There's loads of info on here so far but any last minute advice is appreciated! How manically did everyone clean their houses! Mine is tidy and clean but there are those little niggling things that I'm getting on the case with tomorrow, like cleaning the oven!...
Thank you ! hx

leah.kyranidis
15-02-2013, 11:12 PM
Is it best to have no children on your pre reg or do they like to see how you are with children, as miY 2 can become very clingy when strange people are around

McKenzie
16-02-2013, 12:43 AM
my oh is taking day off and we've decided we' play it by ear, but think they'll probably go out soon after she gets here,means she still sees how I interact with my little girl but I still get time to concentrate!

MessybutHappy
16-02-2013, 08:21 AM
We did that, they were here to see "the lady" and showed her their rooms, this was important to them, then they all went off with Daddy. My pre-reg was more like a learning experience tbh. I was shattered, but enjoyed it.

halor
16-02-2013, 01:52 PM
My son was at school when the inspector came and my other half took my dd out for the day as she can be very clingy and I wanted to be able to speak to ofsted properly. The lady was fine with this and said she's happy either way so not to worry if your kids are there.

halor
16-02-2013, 01:59 PM
Hi All

This thread has been so helpful to me so far, everyone has put some great advice! I've got my visit Tuesday 19th and I too have a major tendancy to overprepare! I've got a lot of policies and procedures done and relevant paperwork. The playroom (well our living room has been taken over) is srted and I have gone a bit overboard on resources, but at least that means I can pick out lots of examples for her.
There's loads of info on here so far but any last minute advice is appreciated! How manically did everyone clean their houses! Mine is tidy and clean but there are those little niggling things that I'm getting on the case with tomorrow, like cleaning the oven!...
Thank you ! hx

I was in an awful state the week leading up to the inspection, my house has never looked so tidy. I was staying up till 2am very night getting the paperwork in place then the kids had me up every morning at 6. The inspector was very impressed that I had everything in place but she only aske to see the policies you HAVE to have. I also had most if my permission forms etc but didn't necessarily need those.

I also cleaned my oven, glad im not the only insane one lol! I think the main thing they look at are the safety aspects, the resources you have (you can also say the resources your going to get, you don't necessarily have to already have them) and also your general setup. The Inspector certainly didn't pick fault with my cleaning or go round with her white gloves on. A good level of clean is all they expect so don't worry if its not absolutely spotless.

The main area to do is have your 'preparing for your visit' questions answered so you are comfortable with them on the day and have your needed policies in place. Also make sure you have done your risk assesment. That's all I can think of but there's loads of experienced people on here to ask if your bit sure :-)

McKenzie
17-02-2013, 12:17 AM
The Oven is done ;)

just working on my answers to the questions now!