PDA

View Full Version : Tax return submitted - NI to pay, but account says 'nothing to pay'!

Porridge
31-01-2013, 09:47 PM
I was too scared to post this earlier today as I felt such a wally for leaving it so late!!!

I had the accounts prepared ages ago, so knew I had no tax to pay but a small bill for Class 4 NI (I have a dd set up and pay monthly, but I guess my earnings took me over this amount).

Well, when I finally psyched myself up to hit 'submit' this morning (!) BUT it said at the end 'nothing to pay'. I was v confused as it had clearly stated the NI amount to pay earlier on (and is on the final printout I did seconds before I hit submit).

Then, predictably, the paynow system kept timing out, so I started to panic about the fine - is it for not submitting the return? Or not paying the bill? Does it apply to NI only payments???

Anyway, I decided to pay via my online bank, and hopefully did it correctly. It said it would go through within 2 hours (and I made sure to print that page too).

Does anyone else know why it would say 'nothing to pay' when there was, in fact, NI to pay??? Am I missing something? Do they change your DD amounts or something?! Will I have ended up paying twice?! :blush:

MrAnchovy
31-01-2013, 10:40 PM
The monthly amount you pay is for Class 2 NI (some people pay this six monthly) and is a fixed amount which is nothing to do with Class 4 NI.

It's just as well you didn't pay by BillPay as this takes 3 days to get through to HMRC. I have no idea why there seems to be confusion over whether any payment is due; I suggest you log on and look at what it says under "At a glance" - this won't show anything you put through today but if your tax return was submitted some time ago it should show you whether you did need to pay anything today.

MrAnchovy
31-01-2013, 10:42 PM
Oh the fine is for not submitting the return, you can pay up to 29 days late and you only have to pay a small amount of interest (effectively 3% APR).

Porridge
31-01-2013, 11:01 PM
Thanks mr a. I was secretly hoping you'd be listening! :-)