PDA

View Full Version : Paperwork

theoldwoman
25-06-2008, 08:34 PM
You know all this mountain of paperwork we are producing, well I am not sure what happens to it all, who apart from the Ofsted inspector (ie once every three years) ever sees it. If a photo diary is OK for parents and policies and risk assesments are done why do we have to do the rest? I have managed for over 20 years without it and to be honest it seem pointless when I just want to provide a home from home. Does anyone else feel like this. I was hoping to retire - not give up.

Sue

Trouble
25-06-2008, 08:39 PM
i agree is it necessary?

ive done my first assesment today and parent wasnt bothered about it!

but the other parents will want to see it

all i want to do is play not fill in daily diary and other diarys:angry:

sue m
25-06-2008, 08:40 PM
I absolutely agree Sue. I gave up in 2002 to care for my sick husband and am going back into it now and I cannot believe the paperwork. I wish sometimes I'd got a job in Tesco's!!! I've hust got in from an advanced safeguarding children course. Nothing we all didn't know already.

Sue x x

sarah707
25-06-2008, 09:09 PM
We can't even have a bonfire with it ... some of it needs keeping for 21 years :eek:

I will bequeath it all in my will to my children :D

ajs
25-06-2008, 10:14 PM
my children will be so grateful

mind you with the cost of everything that's about all i will have to leave the kids :eek:

donnahay0
26-06-2008, 11:18 AM
Just recently had a good old clear out and did manage to get rid of lots of stuff that doesn't need keeping - I seem to collate a lot of useless information along the way.

Where possible I am trying to simplify my process and maybe fit more onto a page, less writing (difficult) and laminate daily things and use a log book for recording any findings (i.e. daily risk assessment). It still leaves loads of paperwork and I am really running out of room now.

nannysue
26-06-2008, 02:25 PM
I know just how you feel Sue, sometimes i feel i'm drowning in a sea of paperwork and is it all necessary? I've managed fine over the last 29yrs, providing a happy, safe, loving and stimulating enviroment, without having to make sure that this that or the other form has the right tick in the right box!!:mad: . When i started (back in the olden days!!!) all that was needed was a record form and a very basic contract which included any permisson required. This week alone i have heard of 3 childminders giving up because of all the paperwork involved. its such a shame because they are all very good childminders. The good thing is that i like doing paperwork and having everthing in order but its not everyones cup of tea. I know i should be thinking of WHEN i retire but theres plenty of life left in this old girl yet so i'll do what ever Ofsted decides to make up next and just carry on enjoying what i am doing. There now, i've had a bit of a rant and its all Ofsteds fault!!!!

Sue x

sue m
26-06-2008, 03:17 PM
Hi Sue,

You pinched my name!! LOL I'm Nanny Sue or Nanny Pillows to my grandkids.

Oh for the olden days! I started in 1987 and it was so easy. The paperwork that is. My friend was telling me yesterday that a local childminder actually has given up and gone to work in Tesco's! You like doing paperwork!? Can you pop along and do mine? lol You're right, it's ALL Ofsteds fault!!! We can look after children no problem but I just know when I get my first inspection, I'm going to stand there looking gormless with my mouth oopen and not know any of the answers to questions she will ask! I started in 1987 and gave up in 2002 and just gone back into it. I had arranged for a 'lady' to come and see me yesterday with her little boy and I rushed around all day getting everything ready and she never turned up! That DOES annoy me. She had time to make the call to the appointment, why didn't she have the decency to ring and cancel it! I was busy all day yesterday and then went on the advanced safeguarding children course last night and nearly missed my tea!!!!:mad:

I was thinking I'm too old to go back into this job but it seems there are a few who aren't exactly teenagers on here LOL.

Sue x x

sarah707
26-06-2008, 05:13 PM
Hi Sue,

You pinched my name!! LOL I'm Nanny Sue or Nanny Pillows to my grandkids. Sue x x

Awww that's such a sweet name!

I long for the olden days as well ... though I do worry when I look back at the small amount of paperwork I have ... I didn't even have clear permission forms, we just got on and did it!

And the contracts were photocopies of something social services brought round ... :laughing:

nannysue
26-06-2008, 05:47 PM
Ahhh Social Services.... :) The good old days when you felt that the children were the most important part of the job.Glad you've come back Sue,remember you are as young as you feel but i must admit that on Fridays i feel older than i do on a Monday:laughing:

Sue x

sue m
26-06-2008, 05:59 PM
I had a woman from Social Services come round and have a chat with me in 1987 and she said "you'll do ok" and that was it really!!! We didn't have to have the attendance register or none of this we have now. I've not even started yet and I'm a nervous wreck, that's just the paperwork got me in this state!!!! I charged 90p an hour. I feel about 80 some days Sue and like I said, I've not even started yet!!!

Sarah you are so right, we had photocopies of contracts. Not much else, just the emergency contact numbers. I didn't have permission forms and when my last baby came to me in 2001, Mum asked me to do a daily diary and I was horrified, thought she was quite mad and so did all my friends lol.

It's getting embarrassing being Nanny Pillows when I get pictures Hollie has drawn and sent me through the post, they live 67 miles from me in Herts. the postman has never asked! Maybe he looks and sees why!:blush:

MissTinkerbell
30-06-2008, 01:23 PM
Oh, please don't get me all disillusioned about paperwork before I actually start:laughing: I gave up teaching for that very reason!

I'm aware of all the paperwork but am hoping that because its on a much smaller scale than teaching it won't be so onerous and of course I'm doing it for my own business and not a board of Governors.

Surely it is all still about the children and making sure they enjoy themselves and achieve?

Chimps Childminding
30-06-2008, 05:49 PM
I absolutely agree Sue. I gave up in 2002 to care for my sick husband and am going back into it now and I cannot believe the paperwork. I wish sometimes I'd got a job in Tesco's!!! I've hust got in from an advanced safeguarding children course. Nothing we all didn't know already.

Sue x x

You have no idea how many times I have said I'm off to Tesco's instead! All this paperwork has taken the fun out of minding!!!!!!!! and most of my parents just want a home from home not a nursery (which is what my house is fast turning into!) and aren't really interested in planning, observations, daily diaries etc etc etc :huh:

Twinkles
30-06-2008, 05:50 PM
I'm aware of all the paperwork but am hoping that because its on a much smaller scale than teaching it won't be so onerous and of course I'm doing it for my own business and not a board of Governors.

Surely it is all still about the children and making sure they enjoy themselves and achieve?

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

sue m
30-06-2008, 06:04 PM
That's exactly what I said to my 'buddy' today when I saw her. I'm not even working yet and my home looks like a nursery. I had a couple come at the weekend who were lovely and they said the same thing. They're supposed to be letting me know tonight whether they can travel to bring their little ones, it's quite a long way away from where I live.

I'm sure a lot of parents never read anything we give them and like in the olden days, they just want their child to be safe and loved and happy while they go to work.

Love Sue x x

Bella
02-07-2008, 08:50 PM
Does anyone remember the good old days when social services would phone you up and ask you if you could possibly take one more child even if you were full and would give you the ok (variation ) on the phone

sarah707
02-07-2008, 09:00 PM
Does anyone remember the good old days when social services would phone you up and ask you if you could possibly take one more child even if you were full and would give you the ok (variation ) on the phone

:laughing: Oh yes! and when they'd ring and ask if you were free for a gossip ... and they really meant a gossip because they wanted to get out of the office for a bit :laughing: