PDA

View Full Version : Assessments.

Mia'smummyx
29-01-2013, 07:03 PM
Right....... Confused.

Could anyone shed some light if I'm doing this right.
I make my observations "child A wrapped a blanket around himself and said " look its my dress" I want music on" I stick this into the learning journal then underneath I write which area this relates to.
Then ill put the date of the observation on the ob tracker ( the free downloads one).
After 6 weeks ill then plan for the next 6 weeks using the past observations and making next steps from them.
I then mark this off the next steps tracker so I know its planned for.
So I believe my assessments are when I'm linking the ob to the areas of learning. Or am I wrong in thinking this?
I don't weekly plan but I rotate the toys weekly and know in my head what we are going to do this week to develop the children's interests.
So what should / shouldn't I be doing??
Thanks x

moggy
29-01-2013, 07:11 PM
Sounds fine, but some next steps you will want to do straight away rather than waiting for 6wk planning review- in the example you give you'd want to be working on dressing up clothes, moving to music etc the same day or within a week or so, otherwise the interest may have passed. I am finding myself doing quick next-steps with some of my obs (eg: 'Obs: She is doing xxx. Next steps: get xxx out and do xxxx', and I'll act on that within days) , and then doing a bigger look at where they are and longer term next steps in my termly review.

Mia'smummyx
30-01-2013, 07:22 AM
Great thanks. I was thinking that about the next steps myself but then the next steps tracker confuses me, seems a bit much to be filling one out every week or is it made to work alongside the ob tracker rather than after. X

sarah707
30-01-2013, 06:22 PM
I only track learning every 6 months or so because that gives me a good overview of how well the child is making progress and helps me to spot any gaps.

Week by week I just go with obs - assess against DM - next steps / individual planning - obs etc.... :D