PDA

View Full Version : Did you cover your radiators?

mmichellled
29-01-2013, 02:53 PM
I have gas central heating and am wondering what I should do. It would be so much easier if there was just a very long checklist of everything you need to do.

Thanks for any help :-)

hectors house
29-01-2013, 03:34 PM
My dining room radiator has cover over it but just so we can use it as a shelf and for appearance rather than safety - on my hall radiator we boxed the ends and top in to make it look tidier (special radiator accessory) because children often bumped into it as at bottom of stairs (normal radiators have quite sharp edges) - I would have liked to put cover over it but limited space. I teach children that radiators could be hot and not to put hands on them.

Tunja
29-01-2013, 04:07 PM
I have gas central heating and am wondering what I should do. It would be so much easier if there was just a very long checklist of everything you need to do.

Thanks for any help :-)

No I have not covered any radiators. However I discourage children from touching them.

Tunja

mrstom
29-01-2013, 04:12 PM
No, I don't cover any radiators. Like above, children are discouraged from touching and each morning I make sure each individual thermostat is turned down to '3'

mrs robbie williams
29-01-2013, 06:37 PM
if they are on during the day i tend to put a damp towel over - stops burnt fingers and also dries my towels :D:laughing:

Rubybubbles
29-01-2013, 07:17 PM
Nope!

Funny enough taking to a lady who is going through pre-reg and she was picked up on not having covers! I gave her some lovely advise of keep them on 3 and make sure your thermostat is not too high lol! I would loose all my space if I covered them!

Dragonfly
29-01-2013, 07:20 PM
Yes, but damp/wet clothes will rust your . radiators:panic: I have cloth radiator covers for mine.

TAZ
29-01-2013, 07:20 PM
I don't cover cover my radiators, however ones in the play room are behind sofa & table so not easily accessible. I also check the temp of them with my hand on a regular basis.

mmichellled
29-01-2013, 07:33 PM
Funny that they picked her up on it. WHy don't ofsted just produce a tick sheet of all the things you have to do. I just realised you don't need the plug covers. You would think they would make it easy. What are fabric covers? Where did you get these from?

Thanks for the tips :-)

margaret
29-01-2013, 07:41 PM
Have only just been talking to a colleague on this very subject .One of her parents whom she minds baby of 8mths for ,crawled under table and touched cooper piping under radiator resulting in badly blistered hand ,no idea of temp etc but you cant be to careful .

mmichellled
29-01-2013, 07:47 PM
Yeah I think I need to cover them. At least the one behind the table just trying to think of the best way how.

Maza
29-01-2013, 09:24 PM
I use a 'rad pad' on the radiator in my hall. I got it off amazon. Apparantly they use them in care homes for the elderly and nurseries. I use it mostly because of the corners/edges as it is in a position where the toddlers go charging around the corner. My inspector liked it but she had never seen one before. x

silvermist
29-01-2013, 09:31 PM
No I dont cover mine either. Temp turned down though so if lo does touch it it wont burn x

wellybelly
29-01-2013, 10:40 PM
Funny that they picked her up on it. WHy don't ofsted just produce a tick sheet of all the things you have to do. I just realised you don't need the plug covers. You would think they would make it easy. What are fabric covers? Where did you get these from?

Thanks for the tips :-)

That's a great idea! Why don't we make an Ofsted Tick list. All the things that we are pulled up about from Ofsted in one long list, which we can then use as a means of showing we are making improvements!

Mrs Scrubbit
29-01-2013, 11:21 PM
Great idea -lets make our own list and yes two inspections ago I was told to get fitted covers so I now have those you get from B&Q made from mdf(or something like that!) x

harleyrider
30-01-2013, 12:14 AM
I already had a couple of radiator covers fitted in lounge, the conservatory has toy storage in front of it, therefore the lo's can only touch the kitchen/diner but this one is kept at low temperature.

FussyElmo
30-01-2013, 06:08 AM
No covers here no intention of getting any neither. How on earth will children ever learn if every single percieved danger is taken away.

Dragonfly
30-01-2013, 07:33 AM
I had my fabric covers made for me, Ofsted were very happy with these. I have seen them in one of the child equipment books.Have a look on ebay to.

Dragonfly
30-01-2013, 07:38 AM
just looked put into Ebay perfect playthings radiator cover blue. or web site Safetots.co.uk

miffy
30-01-2013, 07:52 AM
No radiator covers here either - children taught not to touch, and this is in my RA - wasn't mentioned by Ofsted.

Miffy xx

lynncjt
30-01-2013, 11:52 AM
No covers here, youngest child is 30mths though so can can be taught not to touch. Care Inspectorate were fine when they inspected.

Dragonfly
30-01-2013, 02:34 PM
I only have them in my hall and play room and that was because Ofsted asked me to have them about 3 years ago.Other wise No i wouldn't have them.

CathyAmy
30-01-2013, 02:55 PM
Was worrying about the rads not being covered at my pre-reg at beginning of January - but it wasn't an issue, I did explain that the temp of radiators can be set on our new boiler - still think I might get some of the fabric covers for the only two that aren't covered. I mentioned that in my risk assessment temp on boiler is checked and children taught not to touch radiators.

gegele
30-01-2013, 03:46 PM
the only radiator which has a cover is my pilot radiator has it get hotter than others. In my extension I have tall radiator and at £120 a pop I'm not hiding them LOL but they have thermostat on them I reduce when lo are around but to be honest they don't go near it.