PDA

View Full Version : Change to contract

TillyTwinkle
25-06-2008, 07:01 PM
Please bare with me and quite a long thread!

My mindees contract is due to be reviewed/renewed in October and there is one big change i want to make.

My mindees are on a term time only contract and so do not pay anything for half terms. As i never seem to be able to fill the space for holidays, i have decided to charge a retainer of 50% for half terms.

However, i am at a lose as to how to word a letter to mum about this change (i thought i would send it in september as advance warning)

My only concern is that my mindees previous childminder said mum can get very funny about paying anything when her children dont attend and even challenged their contract after signing it!!
I really cant offord to lose this contract but dont feel it is fair that other families pay and she doesnt!!:panic:

Any advice/hints/tips on the letter would be much appreciated.
xx

Pudding Girl
25-06-2008, 07:11 PM
How come she doesn't pay then when others do? Are they all term time only too?

I wouldn't personally charge a term time only contract for holidays as they don't obviously want the space then.

sue32
25-06-2008, 07:13 PM
You could always put up your fees for term time only contracts or say that due to the cost of living and PETROL that your will be charging a fee when the child is not with you as you feel that a high rise in term time will not help her and remember that she gets paid for 52 weeks and having a lower fee in holidays means you are still out of pocket unless you can fill it

Pipsqueak
25-06-2008, 07:16 PM
If you are going to charge a retainer then you have to have that space open for them and be prepared for them to use it.
If they are term time only and havn't used the holiday space before then I think you are going to run into difficulty to be honest.

I wouldn't charge retainer over the holiday periods if they have never used, don't want (and specifiy) those times.

If they have used the holiday spaces on an ad-hoc basis with you previously then I think you may be able to come to a compromise (obviously I don't know mum)

Pauline
25-06-2008, 07:20 PM
I always charge half fee for holidays when parents only want term time care. They are still being paid and you are keeping that place open for them and you cannot guarantee that you will be able to fill the space.

Tilly - the only thing you can do is state what you want and stick to it, it is your business and you can run it how you like. You do need to be tough sometimes I'm afraid. Explain that you have found it difficult filling spaces and feel it necessary, after much consideration and after reviewing the situation, to now change your terms and conditions.

Good luck :)

TillyTwinkle
25-06-2008, 07:20 PM
How come she doesn't pay then when others do? Are they all term time only too?

I wouldn't personally charge a term time only contract for holidays as they don't obviously want the space then.

When she signed in march i only charged for the time the children were with me. Since then i have had another lady sign who also only wanted term time, but said she was willing to pay retainers for all half terms as she did so with her previous childminder.
Basically i asked around after that and it seems all other minders in my area do the same as the demand for holiday care just isnt there the same!!

Also mum has asked on a couple of occassions if i will mind during holidays and usually with a days notice!!

Pipsqueak
25-06-2008, 07:24 PM
And did you mind the kids????

If she has asked a couple of times then I feel you may have a case to charge. Remember if you are charging the retainer then you have to be available to work (obviously with notice so make sure you work out your terms - ie 48hrs minimum notice if required to work during retainer period) etc

TillyTwinkle
25-06-2008, 07:25 PM
I always charge half fee for holidays when parents only want term time care. They are still being paid and you are keeping that place open for them and you cannot guarantee that you will be able to fill the space.

Tilly - the only thing you can do is state what you want and stick to it, it is your business and you can run it how you like. You do need to be tough sometimes I'm afraid. Explain that you have found it difficult filling spaces and feel it necessary, after much consideration and after reviewing the situation, to now change your terms and conditions.

Good luck :)

Thanks Pauline. Helps to know others further afield also charge retainers.

Mum has always said if i need to charge for meals to just say, so hopefully will be ok with the holiday thing as opposed to an increase in hourly rate or meals fee!!

TillyTwinkle
25-06-2008, 07:29 PM
And did you mind the kids????

If she has asked a couple of times then I feel you may have a case to charge. Remember if you are charging the retainer then you have to be available to work (obviously with notice so make sure you work out your terms - ie 48hrs minimum notice if required to work during retainer period) etc

Yeah i did as im generally home anyway! I've put in my new t&c that 48hours notice is required and retainers for holidays will NOT be charged if filled by another child or i myself am on holiday.