PDA

View Full Version : Nursery articles about interview with E Truss

FussyElmo
29-01-2013, 06:18 AM
'More Great Childcare': Interview with Elizabeth Truss | Nursery World (http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/news/rss/1168614/More-Great-Childcare-Interview-Elizabeth-Truss/)

'More Great Childcare': a guide to the key points | Nursery World (http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/news/rss/1168612/More-Great-Childcare-guide-key-points/)

'More Great Childcare': Expansion for Ofsted as councils lose early years quality work | Nursery World (http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/news/rss/1168575/More-Great-Childcare-Expansion-Ofsted-councils-lose-early-years-quality-work/)

Apologies if I repeat anything.

Ratios to stay the same 6 under 8 - 4 under 5 in certain circumstances. She does want to bring in networks but they will be voluntary.

Be interesting to see what other qualifications they want to bring in.

Make it easier to become a cm by joining the network. But they will be responsible for paying you.

Take the funding out of LA's hands for 2-4 yos and put it in the hands of ofsted and make their inspection the only criteria to offer the funding.

Be interesting to see the full news later

christine e
29-01-2013, 07:02 AM
Have just read. Think this is a case of government initially scaremongering and then bringing something new in not as bad as we originally thought in that they are introducing agencies but we don't have to join and the 5 under 5 becomes 4 under 5

Cx

Donkey
29-01-2013, 08:48 AM
the main worry is for those of us that operate childminding on a larger scale

the new ratios will be

2 under 1
4 under 5
5under 5 for crossover periods for short periods of time (!!!)
and 6 under 8

as we all know for planning you cant have more than 6 children. However, those of us that work with co-minders/assistants will really feel the changes

we still can't have more than 6 under 8 (due to planning), so in our case we operate 6 under 5 between us.
I do not fancy 4 under 1... no thank you! and I would not want 2 under 1 on my own anyway!

We won't be able to have any more children - not that we want to work with more anyway!

don't get me started on agencies!!!

all the local authority networks will prob be tendered off as agencies - join them or be completly on your own. Will parents view agency childminders in a better light? will non agency childminders be represented fairly on LA/national systems in the same light (like childcare search websites)

We would have to really sell the benefit of inspected and regulated independent childminder. (will Ofsted charge us more???)

Will we have the new title of Independent Childminder? Will our PLI increase because there may be less of us?
Will NCMA/??? new name is stop providing PLI?
Will independent childminders go the wa of independent midwifes? (i.e the way of the dinosaur?)

its all a massive mess and it has serious rammifications....

Give Truss my (our) job for a day and I bet she changes her mind....

silvermist
29-01-2013, 08:55 AM
the main worry is for those of us that operate childminding on a larger scale

the new ratios will be

2 under 1
4 under 5
5under 5 for crossover periods for short periods of time (!!!)
and 6 under 8

as we all know for planning you cant have more than 6 children. However, those of us that work with co-minders/assistants will really feel the changes

we still can't have more than 6 under 8 (due to planning), so in our case we operate 6 under 5 between us.
I do not fancy 4 under 1... no thank you! and I would not want 2 under 1 on my own anyway!

We won't be able to have any more children - not that we want to work with more anyway!

don't get me started on agencies!!!

all the local authority networks will prob be tendered off as agencies - join them or be completly on your own. Will parents view agency childminders in a better light? will non agency childminders be represented fairly on LA/national systems in the same light (like childcare search websites)

We would have to really sell the benefit of inspected and regulated independent childminder. (will Ofsted charge us more???)

Will we have the new title of Independent Childminder? Will our PLI increase because there may be less of us?
Will NCMA/??? new name is stop providing PLI?
Will independent childminders go the wa of independent midwifes? (i.e the way of the dinosaur?)

its all a massive mess and it has serious rammifications....

Give Truss my (our) job for a day and I bet she changes her mind....

Here, here!:(

Mouse
29-01-2013, 09:16 AM
The ratios bit seems fine to me, pretty much in line with what I'd expected.

I'm not sure why so much emphasis has been put on petitions regarding ratios, when that was only really based wild assumptions (it was never said we'd be able to double our numbers, or have more than 6 under 8). I'd have been more interested in a petition against the agency idea, which still concerns me.

I also don't like the sound of schools being able to take children from the age of 2. I find the thought frightening, not just from a business point of view, but from a child's point of view as well. Two year olds shouldn't be in school :panic:

Ripeberry
29-01-2013, 09:30 AM
Two year olds in school? :censored: And pray, where are all these children coming from? This is all turning into institutionalised childcare. Parents must not be trusted to look after their own kids. Yes they will get good care from trusted, qualified adults. But can't anyone else see how the state is slowly but surely killing the 'family unit'?
Someone out there might want to stay at home with their kids but will feel pressurised to conform.
Maybe I'm talking total twadle but I find this unnerving :(

Tazmin68
29-01-2013, 09:50 AM
Am I being thick. Am I right in hearing that our ratios as childminders are staying the same at 6 under 8 years and 3 under 5 with the usual 4 in certain circumstances.
Not sure about taking the 2 and 3,year old funding away from la. if ofsted do it and make a cock up with payments could they cope with the volume of call etc.

Tazmin68
29-01-2013, 09:58 AM
Am I being thick. Am I right in hearing that our ratios as childminders are staying the same at 6 under 8 years and 3 under 5 with the usual 4 in certain circumstances.
Not sure about taking the 2 and 3,year old funding away from la. if ofsted do it and make a cock up with payments could they cope with the volume of call etc.

I have found it in sky
6 children under 8 years
4 under 5 years
Can have 2 under age of one year

I can cope with that. Still will not reduce my fees though.

Mouse
29-01-2013, 10:30 AM
I have found it in sky
6 children under 8 years
4 under 5 years
Can have 2 under age of one year

I can cope with that. Still will not reduce my fees though.

That's pretty much what I have now with variations in place. I've never lowered my fees because I've taken on extra children & have no intention of doing so now!

silvermist
29-01-2013, 10:36 AM
I wont be lowering my fees either! If I took on more los, Id be taking on more paperwork etc so more than earning the rubbish wage I get! Thing is...Truss couldnt really answer him when he asked if it would make childcare cheaper could she! :rolleyes:

Belly2009
29-01-2013, 10:53 AM
I'm looking forward to the changes.

For me, I will have more support. At the moment, despite being awarded a GOOD, I cant join a network as I dont have a LEVEL 3 despite currently doing one. As a result, the network co-ordinator gives out info to all other c/ms in front of me and basically blanks me. When I asked if I could have a copy, she quickly shot me down in flames and said, "no, your not on the network!" So I work completely on my own, reading forums like this and occasionally calling my DO for advice.

I already have my own LO under 5 who is due to start school in sept and unable to take on any other under 5 children as I have a LO who only does 1-4 every day taking up a full under 5 space and an afterschool space. Support and advice would have told me to not take that one on but oh well.

Most c/ms had variations for the old day here or there. I think the changes will make it more flexible. Especially in my case where for 1/2 hour I lose out on a full after school space. Obviously, I would only take on children that I thought I could provide quality care for but I really do think this is going to help those of us who arent supported out.

Jayse74
29-01-2013, 10:58 AM
Does E Truss have kids of her own?

Something that was said this morning implied she does... She really does like the French system and bigged it up!

zippy
29-01-2013, 11:25 AM
I'm looking forward to the changes.

For me, I will have more support. At the moment, despite being awarded a GOOD, I cant join a network as I dont have a LEVEL 3 despite currently doing one. As a result, the network co-ordinator gives out info to all other c/ms in front of me and basically blanks me. When I asked if I could have a copy, she quickly shot me down in flames and said, "no, your not on the network!" So I work completely on my own, reading forums like this and occasionally calling my DO for advice.

I already have my own LO under 5 who is due to start school in sept and unable to take on any other under 5 children as I have a LO who only does 1-4 every day taking up a full under 5 space and an afterschool space. Support and advice would have told me to not take that one on but oh well.

Most c/ms had variations for the old day here or there. I think the changes will make it more flexible. Especially in my case where for 1/2 hour I lose out on a full after school space. Obviously, I would only take on children that I thought I could provide quality care for but I really do think this is going to help those of us who arent supported out.

I'm glad the funding way is changing, sounds like your co-ordinator wants sacking, which ill probably happen now, so you'll get the last laugh only thing I don't really like is agencies, even though I can see how they will work for newbies, will just make it harder for older independents to be seen, however we will just have to diversify and make our selves different from the run of the mill agency model

FussyElmo
29-01-2013, 11:49 AM
I'm glad the funding way is changing, sounds like your co-ordinator wants sacking, which ill probably happen now, so you'll get the last laugh only thing I don't really like is agencies, even though I can see how they will work for newbies, will just make it harder for older independents to be seen, however we will just have to diversify and make our selves different from the run of the mill agency model

I think its scary they want to go down the ofsted route - ofsted who we know never give out the same answer twice :panic::panic:

Yes there are bad co ordinators out there but what about the good ones who lose their jobs perhaps they should set up their own agency and become cms isnt that Ms Truss wants.

Tazmin68
29-01-2013, 01:18 PM
Yes but it will be compulsary to join network, parents pay childcare fees to network and network provide training and insurance and network then pays us!!!!!!!!

Belly2009
29-01-2013, 02:00 PM
Yes but it will be compulsary to join network, parents pay childcare fees to network and network provide training and insurance and network then pays us!!!!!!!!

It is not compulsory to join the agency. We have the choice.

"It will not be compulsory for childminders to join agencies. Many existing childminders have already overcome barriers to enter the market – the registration process, the costs of training – and have built up successful small businesses. It is absolutely right that these childminders continue to be free to operate independently. However, for new or existing childminders, such as those working in rural areas where support is lacking, for example, agencies can offer a formalised support network and a more secure way of working."

watgem
29-01-2013, 02:32 PM
will parents who pay us with childcare vouchers be able to pay agencies with these? and will we be able to set our own rates? I charge slightly lower than the rest of cms in my area as I don't drive or offer hot meals, so my fees reflect this, I can't see my parents being very happy about this

dette
29-01-2013, 02:54 PM
Does E Truss have kids of her own?

Something that was said this morning implied she does... She really does like the French system and bigged it up!

lets hope she moves to france then lol

loocyloo
29-01-2013, 03:01 PM
It is not compulsory to join the agency. We have the choice.

"It will not be compulsory for childminders to join agencies. Many existing childminders have already overcome barriers to enter the market – the registration process, the costs of training – and have built up successful small businesses. It is absolutely right that these childminders continue to be free to operate independently. However, for new or existing childminders, such as those working in rural areas where support is lacking, for example, agencies can offer a formalised support network and a more secure way of working."

i work in a rural area, and my LA support is fantastic. :D

surely the FIS is already working as a sort of agency???? apart from taking the money from parents and then paying us! ( i won't be getting involved in that, as we all have different ways of working and surely we would all have to use the same criteria for being paid - so what about a parent who is late, or needs extra hours one day, or childminder takes a day off .. cause for chaos methinks!)