PDA

View Full Version : Depression and becoming a childminder

oxfordshirecm
28-01-2013, 06:02 PM
Hi my friend has asked me if I could help- she is looking to become a childminder but is worried that she will not pass the medical part if the ofsted forms as she has been on anti depressants and councilling in the passed and has tried to take her life once before. She is better now and had not been on any medication for around nine months but worried her past will stop her becoming a cm.

Has anyone had any experience in this please?

Thank you

toddlers896
28-01-2013, 06:10 PM
Hi my friend has asked me if I could help- she is looking to become a childminder but is worried that she will not pass the medical part if the ofsted forms as she has been on anti depressants and councilling in the passed and has tried to take her life once before. She is better now and had not been on any medication for around nine months but worried her past will stop her becoming a cm.

Has anyone had any experience in this please?

Thank you

I was on antidepressants once because i was having panic attacks. My GP told me that you wouldnt believe the amount of people that are on these. She told me I had nothing to worry about as they do a medical based on how you are now. There is a section in there where they have to write wether you have had any problems and the GP has to be honest but she wrote something along the lines of I am ok now.
If you can show that you are ok now I dont think you have anything to worry about. Good luck

Rick
28-01-2013, 06:19 PM
My friend was advised by our coordinator that it would be 'difficult' to become a childminder with her bipolar and depression, but every case is different, it is an ongoing condition. She seems perfectly well 99.9% of the time but has rare episodes.

shortstuff
28-01-2013, 06:30 PM
Ive been on antidepressants and received counselling. I phoned ofsted and told them about it and asked if it would go against me. They were great. I would suggest your friend calls them and outlines her medical things and asks if it will go against her. They will give her an answer where all we can do is speculate. :-) hth

oxfordshirecm
28-01-2013, 07:12 PM
Thank you for all your help will get her to call ofsted ASAP :) xx