PDA

View Full Version : The petition doesn't make sense

MrAnchovy
28-01-2013, 04:19 PM
Just had an email about the petition re. ratios.

Unfortunately this email, and the petition, talk about plans to "increase the ratios of adult [sic] to children" and to "increase adult-child ratios" which is exactly the opposite of what is proposed.

The petition should be against decreasing the ratio of adults to children, also called the adult:child ratio, or alternatively against increasing the ratio of children to adults, also called the child:adult ratio.

Actually it is likely that any government proposals will avoid any confusion by talking about "increasing the number of children that an adult can look after", so perhaps it is better to steer clear of the idea of ratios altogether.

justgoodfriends
29-01-2013, 06:54 PM

Unfortunately this email, and the petition, talk about plans to "increase the ratios of adult [sic] to children" and to "increase adult-child ratios" which is exactly the opposite of what is proposed.

The petition should be against decreasing the ratio of adults to children, also called the adult:child ratio, or alternatively against increasing the ratio of children to adults, also called the child:adult ratio.

Actually it is likely that any government proposals will avoid any confusion by talking about "increasing the number of children that an adult can look after", so perhaps it is better to steer clear of the idea of ratios altogether.

Well spotted... its been changed now.

sarah707
29-01-2013, 08:11 PM
Thank you for your feedback Mr Anchovy.

I am not a mathematician and type like I talk - it made perfect sense to me :laughing:

I hope you have supported the petition and lobbied childminders on other forums to make them aware of the issues :D

bunyip
29-01-2013, 09:07 PM

Well said Mr A.

Nice to find someone who understands both mathematics and English. Careful now, you might get poached by a nursery once they're required to employ people with O-levels. :D

There are only 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't. :rolleyes: