PDA

View Full Version : I have a dilema - sorry it's a long one

Rainy
25-06-2008, 10:53 AM
I have been looking after a little boy since he was 5 months old and in September he will be starting school.
He is part time and comes about 65 hours a month but on different days of the week as his mum works on a 6 week rota. Me and his mum have become really good friends and see each other socially as well.
When i first started having him it was all year round and i would take 4 weeks holiday a year but over the last 2 years she has been taking all of the school holidays off so he has only been with me term time. I was fine about this as my full time child is also term time only so it meant that i could have those weeks off to spend with my son. I charge her half pay for the 13 weeks that she takes off and i no longer take 4 weeks holiday as i have the time of in school holidays.
A couple of times recently she has mentioned that we must end the contract at the end of July (start of school holidays) and do another one from September as his hours will be changing and i will only be having him before and after school. I get the impression she is trying to avoid paying me half pay for the 6 week school holidays. When he starts school in Sept not only will it be a week later then the start of the term so i will still have him for the normal hours he will also be part time only for the first 3 weeks so i will be picking him up at lunch time. I have said to her that i will change the contract from when he is full time at school which will be at the beginning of October.
But now i need some advice about what to charge. I have every intention of charging her half pay for the summer holidays and i think she has now realised that but what hours shall i base it on.
Shall i charge her half pay based on his hours now or half pay based on before and after school hours. I think it should be based on the hours now as the new ones will not come into affect until October.
Also when he is part time at school and i will be picking him up at lunch time should i be charging her for the whole days place (this is only for 3 weeks though)
What does everybody else think ?
Sorry this is so long.

jaja
25-06-2008, 11:02 AM
I would charge the normal for now, and then alter the contract in sep/oct and the money otherwise you will be left out of pocket and she hasnt said to you yet to alter the hours...stick to your guns plus u have been very accommodating when changing her holidays to half pay which many of us wouldnt have done so no stick to your guns and charge what you would do normally... good luck xxx

miffy
25-06-2008, 12:18 PM
I'd charge based on what hours you work now. When he starts full-time school in October you will need to do a new contract to reflect the drop in hours each week.

When he starts school part time yes you should still charge the full day place as you can't fill those few hours that he is at school and have to keep the place available to him in case school is closed for example.

Think your "friend" is pushing your friendship a bit too far here and you will need to be very firm.

Good luck

miffy xx

angeldelight
25-06-2008, 12:28 PM
I would do the same as Miffy

This is the problem sometimes when you help a friend they do take advantage and you do not like to speak up

But treat her like another parent - and forget she is your friend when you are dealing with this

Be stong

Good luck

Angel xx

Rainy
25-06-2008, 01:32 PM
yes i know i have got to be strong. We have never had a cross word in the 3 1/2 years i have been looking after her son. She has always paid on time and is really good about not sending him if he is really ill. I really do not want to upset her but i think i will charge half pay on the current hours, hopefully she will understand and be ok about it.
Thanks guys

angeldelight
26-06-2008, 08:34 AM
If she is a good friend she will understand

Hope it goes ok with her

Keep us posted

Angel xx