PDA

View Full Version : Childminding briefing session

nailzby
22-01-2013, 06:10 PM
Hi,

I am new to the forum, and I am attending my first childminding briefing session this coming Friday (weather permitting!). Can anyone tell me what to expect?!

Kiddleywinks
22-01-2013, 07:30 PM
Lots of other equally nervous people that won't look anyone else in the eye, and leave a spare seat next to the other person :laughing:

The briefing session basically outlines the process of becoming a childminder.
It touches on everything from the role of the local authority early years team, role of Ofsted, regulations of minding, EYFS, the course itself, safeguarding, and how the process works, it's really quite informative, but it is also designed to make people very aware that going into minding isn't for the faint hearted.
At the end of our session, less than half signed up for the next stage, with a further half of those that did, drop out once the course actually started.

It's not scary, but this is a big commitment, so they want to be sure you know what you're signing up for

Good luck :thumbsup:

Goldilocks
22-01-2013, 07:30 PM
Hi,

Welcome to the forum! I'm new to the forum as well and just finished my corse and handed in my portfolio. Just have to wait now and see if it is all ok :panic:

The briefing session is great and it gives you a good insight as to weather childminding is right for you. There will be a lot of info given to you and may seem very daunting and seeming scary on how much you have to learn and know. I still continued on with the corse and glad I did. It is quite full on with the portfolio but really helps you understand how to set up your business etc. Not sure if you are from an early years back ground but I feel the corse it's self didn't really cover the early years that much so just got a few books to brush up on it.

Good luck and hope it goes well

Christina :D

Rick
22-01-2013, 07:39 PM
Kiddleywinks said it all there. I was lucky as my briefing session happened to be the week after I enquired and the course started the week after.

Similarly, only a handful of those at the briefing session actually registered, but it's pretty straight forward, just needs dedication.

Good luck :D

nailzby
22-01-2013, 09:37 PM
Thank you all for the info. It's something I'm strongly considering, due baby no2 in march and I want to be about to bring him up and though if I could combine it with making a bit of money, even better. My first son went to a childminder so she's filled me in on certain things. I've been self employed for the last 5 years so I know about that side of things, but feel I need my eyes opened to the rest of it!