PDA

View Full Version : How many observations?

sooz22
22-01-2013, 05:34 PM
Hi,

Im hoping for a little insight into how many observations people are doing as after a discussion with other childminders we all had different thoughts about the number of observations we should be doing a month. We all agree that if you have a child 1 day a week you will be doing les observations than a full timer.

How many do you do on average a month ? is 3 or 4 a month ok?

blue bear
22-01-2013, 05:38 PM
I'd say an average for me would be four a month, some months I might do tons and others none, depending where the child is In Their development, of they are building on skills already attained they. Might not achieve any wow moments for a while and then other days there is one wow moment after another.

sarah707
22-01-2013, 05:40 PM
I try to do 1 x inside; 1 x outside; 1 x outing; 1 x home obs a month... plus any little notes I make.

Every so often I will do a more detailed obs if I feel something has been missed or I am worried about an area of learning and want to check how the child is doing.

Hth :D

sooz22
22-01-2013, 05:49 PM
Thank you for your responces. i really appreciate it.

To be honest thats about the same as me (i do approx 4 a month) unless the child hasnt quite reached the next step in their development or of course is progressing quickly.
Ill definately pass this on as many of the other minders seemed to think 1 or 2 a month was enough but i didnt agree.

Thank you again
Susan

the_nanny_uk2
31-01-2013, 12:27 PM
I was wondering about this as at present I do 1 or 2 obs per child per mth, yet a local childminder who has just had her inspection got told by the inspector that she should be doing 1 observation per learning area each month per child!!!!! Is this not a little excessive? Is there anywhere written that stipulates how many obs you need to do ?

jo x

mazza58
31-01-2013, 12:48 PM
find this all confusing with different advice from people, my coordinator has told me that we only need to do one every six weeks, so who is right. I do a small one and one big one a month so think that is enough

moggy
31-01-2013, 12:57 PM
I was wondering about this as at present I do 1 or 2 obs per child per mth, yet a local childminder who has just had her inspection got told by the inspector that she should be doing 1 observation per learning area each month per child!!!!! Is this not a little excessive? Is there anywhere written that stipulates how many obs you need to do ?

jo x

'1 observation per learning area each month per child', for an under 3 would be 3 per month (3 prime areas of learning), which is fine. There is no rule, it is up to you. As long as you are observing enough to be able to see what child is progressing in and where they need support then that is enough. There is such a difference in how many hours a child might do at a CM it is impossible to compare between children and CMs.