PDA

View Full Version : My 1st child starting, need some advice please......

Npg1
21-01-2013, 07:20 PM
Hi all. Have been registered since last august and purely registered so I could look after my neighbours baby.I set everything up, policies, set my fees etc and we went from there and everything has been fine, very easy and laid back. I have started to advertise and have just had a phonecall to say a parent wants me to look after her baby 3 days a week as of april.

I am now going to quit my pre school nursery work and leave at the beginning of easter holidays (wanted to do this for so long!) The parent is coming saturday to sign paperwork etc and I just have a couple of questions.......

Do I charge a retainer fee from now until april? Baring in mind I will still be working at the nursery until end of march on the 2 days she will want me. If so how much?

I negotiated a price with her because she couldnt afford to pay what I had asked. I said yes to this but said im not sure I can include food into that, should I charge for meals, i would only be lunch or get her to bring packed lunch?

Shall I make a welcome pack? I did my my first mindee and want to do it again but unsure what to put in it.

Any other suggestions would be great. Im nervous because its my first 'proper' mindee!!!!

kelz_wilko
28-01-2013, 11:47 AM
congratulations on getting your first mindee. I've just finished my application form and about to hand it in.

I would give a welcome pack, i am going to with anyone that starts with me. In mine I have included a page about me and my family with qualifications, important information parents need to know - like if their child was ill what number to contact to let u know, late payments, when you will issue invoices etc things like that. I have included meals in my price so i put a sample menu in and a list of activities on offer. I also put policies and procedures in asking parents to read through them and then sign a form stating they read and understood them all.

Its up to you with regards to the retainer fee, you could because then it would guarantee her child a place otherwise she risks there not being a place left for her child come april.

i hope this info has helped and good luck xxx

TAZ
28-01-2013, 01:22 PM
I thought you could only charge a retainer fee if you were available to care for the lo on those days (which you are not as still out at work). You could charge non-refundable deposit to book the place though (could amount to the same,just different wording!) Just ensure that it is clear what amount will be required up front & in what situation it would be refunded.

moggy
28-01-2013, 02:51 PM
I thought you could only charge a retainer fee if you were available to care for the lo on those days (which you are not as still out at work). You could charge non-refundable deposit to book the place though (could amount to the same,just different wording!) Just ensure that it is clear what amount will be required up front & in what situation it would be refunded.

That is right, you can only charge a retainer if you are there with an empty place being kelp for the child. A deposit is a good idea- either non-refundable or refundable against first month's fees. I charge 4 weeks fees as a deposit refundable from first months fees, not refunded if childcare place not taken up. If you are giving up your job for this work I would go for a hefty deposit to make sure they do not change their minds!

Welcome pack- I do not do one, but I show my portfolio and send copy of all my policies and permissions. I guess you could put in it things like what you expect them to bring (comforter? nappies? etc), something about your weekly routine, places you go, reminder of your contact details, something about the EYFS and parents involvement, what you do for learning journals or daily diaries and what you want form parents in terms of input... have a look at some childminder websites for ideas. But to be honest I have all this covered in my policies or permissions or contract or it has been discussed at the first meeting.

Lunch- I'd make it clear ASAP if it is not included and the family may have assumed it was included. You can accept packed lunches if you have spacer in your fridge to store it.

Npg1
28-01-2013, 05:54 PM
Thanks ladies.

She came saturday morning, I didnt think of the deposit so charged a £100 retainer fee, yes I will still be working on a mon and thurs but I have fridays off and she wants a friday hence why I charged this, also I will be finishing work at my other place end of march and she wont need me until april 15th. She did question this but I explained it and said any settling in sessions wont be charged. I text her my bank details and didnt get a reply so text just to check and she said yes she got it. No payment has been made yet but all paperwork is signed.