PDA

View Full Version : I'm new and would love some advice

Katherine 2830
21-01-2013, 03:24 PM
Hi all!

I know how to go about getting registered etc and how to get started but I'm wondering about the more practical side of things.

I don't drive and my oldest daughter goes to school 2.5 miles away, we usually get the bus (or my mum takes her) will I be able to take younger children on the bus or should I arrange alternative transport for my daughter and have the closer school as my pickup/drop off school? I'm also thinking about the time it will take to get back again if I do drop offs at my daughters school, (bus goes at 825, school starts at 850 then the bus back isn't until 945 so we'd either be at the park for an hour every morning/walking home/getting a different bus half way then going to the library while we wait for the next bus (yes I know. I'm just making it complicated) I am not finishing my maternity leave til July so I could potentially learn to drive in the next 6 months but I don't know what's best to do.
My own children are happy walking here there and everywhere but I'm not sure how off putting it would be to potential parents, I have a 2 year old and 12 week old so if I didn't do any before/after schools I'd only be able to have 1 other child which doesn't seem very practical.

Anyway I'd love some advice if anyone has any :)

lilac_dragon
22-01-2013, 10:04 AM
I don't drive so the children I look after have to walk everywhere - count it as their daily exercise! In 28 years of childminding I've never had a parent put off by it. You have to drill into them though that their children have to be adequately clothed and shod in bad weather.
I rarely go on the bus with them as there's 3 x2yolds and it's jsut too much hassle.
I'll wait til they're older!
If I had your situation I'd be reluctant to take them on buses to your dughter's school, how would you have coped in the bad weatrher, bus disruption etc we have at the moment?
If your Mum can take over the school run for your daughter on a regular basis I'd be tempted to take to and fetch home from the closer school.

Binney
22-01-2013, 12:03 PM
I'm pre-reg and was concerned about the fact that I don't drive but I've found that most parents don't see this as a disadvantage and some even prefer it as they worry about their children being in someone else's car. But I will only be collecting/dropping off to schools or nurseries in walking distance. Generally, I don't think the bus would be much of an issue but what concerns me is the infrequency of the bus you take and whether there would be problems in adverse weather like lilac_dragon mentioned. In your position, I too would find it preferable to have someone else transport your daughter to school if that is an option and do collections/drop off's from closer schools. If that is not an option, however, I'm sure you can find a way to make it work. All the best! :)

SammySplodger
22-01-2013, 04:19 PM
I do not drive and previously lived in a village 3 miles from my children's school. We did the school run by bus. Mindees arrived at 7.45, got bus at 8.00, usually in town far too early so all went to Nero for babycchinos (yum!), but if late plenty of time built in. Then I either went on to play group/library/park or straight back home again. Had to set off again to pick up at 2.30 pm, home most days by 5 latest.

It is perfectly do-able but very tiring! Ofsted were ok with it, as all properly RA'd. BUT: you have to be quite up front with drivers (who pull away before you have chance to sit down safety) and the occasional undesirable passenger (swearing teenagers, grumpy people and occasional weirdos)!!!

The biggest downside, for me, was that my children could not attend after school clubs, as pickup times made it logistically impossible.

I now live in town and find it much easier, but still do outings to seaside and other towns by bus and train. Mindees themselves generally love it. Parents were not put off in the slightest.

Katherine 2830
06-02-2013, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the advice, I've been talking to my mum and we're considering going into it as a joint venture. She is a paediatric nurse who only works one day a week so would enjoy filling her days off and spends lots of time round here so would have to be crb'd anyway. It means she could do the school run with the bigger ones and we'd have more time to spend with each child :)