PDA

View Full Version : First Inspection

Littleglees
21-01-2013, 03:10 PM
Ive received the call this morning to say that im being inspected, the first time in february, Please tell me what happens as im a little nervous, what questions do i need the answers to any what activities i need to be doing (8 month old boy). Thank you sarah x:panic:

MessybutHappy
23-02-2013, 11:00 PM
Hi Sarah, no experience here (yet!) but a friend suggested treasure basket for young ones - she said it made it a little easier to chat to the inspector and keep the youngster occupied! Others will have more hands on experience and advice I'm sure! HTH

TraceyC
24-02-2013, 08:35 AM
Ive received the call this morning to say that im being inspected, the first time in february, Please tell me what happens as im a little nervous, what questions do i need the answers to any what activities i need to be doing (8 month old boy). Thank you sarah x:panic:

Hi Sarah
I have just been inspected over half term - and I had an 8 month old boy that day too. A friend suggested that I wasn't too ambitious with planning for that day, so I did what we all do with crawling babies. I set out some toys for him - Happyland and a couple of trucks and cars. I made sure I was sitting on the floor with him and not at the table with the ofsted inspector. I sang some songs using puppets and I read a couple of stories. The rest of the time he was either on my lap having a cuddle and a bottle, or having a snack at the table or having a nap in the travel cot upstairs. I didn't really do anything much but during the feedback at the end, the inspector had noted quite a lot....

She mentioned that she liked the fact that I wiped the babies hands before a snack (it isquite difficult to wash hands at the sink), she watched me changing a nappy (make sure you have a nappy changing policy in place - Mrs O liked this), she really liked it that I knew the babies needs when he was hungry and when he needed a nap etc. Make sure your learning journal is up to date with lots of written observations liked to the EYFS. She only really looked that the child's LJ that I had that day and I prompted her to look at the other children's LJ that I mind as I only have had the 8 month old boy since late January and his LJ was abit slim.

I was concerned after reading alot of previous threads on this forum about being diverse with a baby and going outside at this time of year. I had done alot of Chinese New Year stuff with the children - amongst other things I had made a snake with each child contributing to a section with colouring or painting. I got the baby to do a hand print and Mrs O really liked this - she said it was important to get his hands messy with paint. We didn't go outside but I did talk about it with Mrs O saying that we go out in the buggy for walks and the school run and that I sometimes have him ride on my shoulders. But at this time of year it was difficult to let a baby crawl about outside etc and i think she liked my bringing this up.

It is really difficult but just do what you would normally do... i put the baby to sleep shortly after Mrs O arrived and he screamed his head off and I had to give up and go and get him! He got more and more tired and was quite clingy because of tiredness and the stranger being in the room and Mrs O thought that he was very attached to me and obviously very settled.

Just be yourself and you will be fine.

blue bear
24-02-2013, 09:03 AM
I always gather all the paper work together and put it in a box on the table, say hello show her where the kettle etc is, tell her to help herself then carry on as if she is not there. Dont plan anything out of the ordinary, do have a couple of extra ideas ready in case not everything goes to plan and try and relax and be your normal self. If you would normally sing and prance around like a fool then do so, the inspector can only make judgements on what she sees there is no point saying well I didnt do that because you were here and I felt daft.

oops just noticed the date of the original post :blush:

MessybutHappy
24-02-2013, 09:20 AM
I like the idea of showing her where the kettle is, do you think she'd make me a cup too?!!!!

Note added to my "Got the call checklist"...ensure fridge clean and adult milk in date!

cazzamuttitt
26-02-2013, 09:27 PM
Let me know how you get on, I have mine mid-march!