PDA

View Full Version : Next steps??

Plantpot
20-01-2013, 02:04 PM
Hi
Looking for a bit of advice, at present I have scrap books with contain mini observation, 2 weekly planned observations sheets and daily record which I include what the child has done etc, however I am struggling and where to put the next steps, could i do this on a seperate sheet and also what do I need to do? I struggling on how to record this.

ie if a child has done some painting and I have observed that they named some colours and enjoyed activity - what would be the next step.

Thanks alot

blue bear
20-01-2013, 02:21 PM
My learning journal is a complete reckrd, containing obs photos pieces of the child's work, odd flowers stuck in, postcards from Holiday, bus tickets, anything really. It belongs to the child and I am happy for the child and their family to add anything they like to it.
It shows the child's learning journey during the time I have cared for them.

I link to develoomet matters the things I think show a new development aspect or highlights a developmental difficulty, which in practise is all observations, some of the child's pieces of work and some of the things brought from home that are in the journal.

So if I write an observation:

X did a painting and names the colours red and yellow

Links - ead - exploring media and mterials - explores colours

Next steps I take from the column titled positive relationships or enabling environments , this time I might choose, talk about x interest in colours as she begins to find difference between colours.

The next steps become part of the observation. Keep it simple, things you can do with the child naturally in their play.

Plantpot
20-01-2013, 02:44 PM
Thanks blue bear that was very helpful, I have a section at the bottom of my observation sheet that states next steps (which i do eery 2 weeks) i was just wondering If i needed to do these more often, these obs are seperate to my learning journal book (should i put the obs in there?) i think i am doing everything i need to just seems a bit confusing how I am showing it.

blue bear
20-01-2013, 03:22 PM
It's up to you if you want to have separate folders, for me I like just one in date order. All Observations are done when I feel I see something significant, I don't have a minimum number a month or anything, some months I will do loads other months none, it all comes from the child. Often they learn in spurts and then plateau as they consolidate new skills.

You will find over time things will change and swap around depending what suits you and the mindees you have at the time, there is no one right way to do it, that's the beauty of the eyfs (and sometimes it's downfall) in that it's open to personal interpretation and can be personalised to suit a particular practitioner and child.

sarah707
20-01-2013, 03:45 PM
My inspector wanted to see that I came back to next steps and showed how the child was making progress with further observation linked to them.

So I might have - like Blue Bear has already explained -

Obs - child makes a tower with 3 blocks and counts it '1, 2, 3'

Link to EYFS - maths - find the relevant similar / guide statement and age / stage information in Development Matters

Next steps - do some more counting to more fully establish numbers

Follow up obs - child counts confidently '1, 2, 3, 4' when making a number line with his favourite car pictures

Hth :D

Plantpot
20-01-2013, 04:20 PM
Thanks blue bear, again very helpful, yes like you say Ill eventually find my own way as ive only been minding 4 months I just want to make sure im covering everything.

Thanks Sarah thats brill sort of what I am doing its just that on my ob sheet it has what they have done and learnt and next steps. Do i go back to this ob sheet when they have achieved the next step for example she now counts confidentially 123 or do i put this somewhere else?

Thanks

toddlers896
20-01-2013, 05:13 PM
My inspector wanted to see that I came back to next steps and showed how the child was making progress with further observation linked to them.

So I might have - like Blue Bear has already explained -

Obs - child makes a tower with 3 blocks and counts it '1, 2, 3'

Link to EYFS - maths - find the relevant similar / guide statement and age / stage information in Development Matters

Next steps - do some more counting to more fully establish numbers

Follow up obs - child counts confidently '1, 2, 3, 4' when making a number line with his favourite car pictures

Hth :D

Once you have done a follow up ob of the child counting confidently do you put this next to the original ob in their learning journal or do you put everything in dated order. If its in dated order how do you show which ones link to which. hope this makes sence

sarah707
20-01-2013, 05:21 PM
Once you have done a follow up ob of the child counting confidently do you put this next to the original ob in their learning journal or do you put everything in dated order. If its in dated order how do you show which ones link to which. hope this makes sence

I do 6 monthly summary assessments (my choice, they are not a requirement), 6 monthly characteristics sheets AND 6 monthly next steps - one for each of the prime areas of learning.

i put the 6 monthly sheets with my monthly play plans which you can see in the download on this thread -

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/activity-ideas/112861-chinese-new-year-feb-week-1-planning.html

:D