PDA

View Full Version : So we waited for it and the snow did turn up. But what are you feeling about it now?

FussyElmo
20-01-2013, 09:37 AM
Im still in the I love it stage :D

Been able to take mine sledging something we havent done for years since dd2 was about 18 months and she hated it then. But now well lets say she loved it.

Its trying to snow again here now.

The schools closed on friday well the primary school sent out a text saying they were staying open but you could collect which I took as we want to shut and went and fetched them. Think mine are praying for more snow to see if the schools will close.

I dont like the fact the city comes to a standstill. I HATE the fact that dhs work wanted him to drive in it but he didnt have to in the end.

I love snugging under blankets in pjs when we have played out in the snow. Having nice hearty warming comfort food.

I also like to loo out and see the view covered in snow.

RuthJ
20-01-2013, 09:45 AM
I'm fed up of it now!

Had a great day Friday - school closed and we went sledging.
Yesterday built a lovely snowman.
Today we're going a bit stir crazy!
Hubby has gone to work and says it's too dangerous for me to drive in with the kids (we live in a village and would have to drive along un-gritted icy roads to get anywhere) so we'll go out for a walk later instead I think. We are still in our PJ's though which is nice!

I suspect school will be closed again tomorrow as heavy snow forecast for us today.

Hope everyone else is enjoying it though!

bunyip
20-01-2013, 10:47 AM
I still love it. :D

I even love the fact that everything slows down and some things just don't get done. It's comforting to know that Humankind isn't quite so in charge as we usually think, and that Nature will have its way. :thumbsup:

FussyElmo
20-01-2013, 11:21 AM
I still love it. :D

I even love the fact that everything slows down and some things just don't get done. It's comforting to know that Humankind isn't quite so in charge as we usually think, and that Nature will have its way. :thumbsup:

Nature go to love her. No matter how advanced we get she can still be the most destructive force :thumbsup:

bunyip
20-01-2013, 11:43 AM
Just gotta love those peole who just don't get it. The traffic news says, "do not travel unless your journey is absolutely essential." Then the emergency services spend the day rescuing people who just had to jump in the car and set off somewhere to buy a toaster. :panic:

Daisy De
20-01-2013, 11:50 AM
The snow is beautiful but I had to get to the vet this morning and decided to walk, thought that would be safer, its half an hour away walking. After doing quite a spectacular snow slipping dance three times in the first 100 yards I decided to go by car which was ok but still scary. Dog I had to take has allergies and vet thinks the drop in temperature and snow plus the fact I have heating on more has aggravated his usually controlled allergies, grrrrrrr

It is snowing again now in Wiltshire and settling :eek:

FussyElmo
20-01-2013, 11:55 AM
Just gotta love those peole who just don't get it. The traffic news says, "do not travel unless your journey is absolutely essential." Then the emergency services spend the day rescuing people who just had to jump in the car and set off somewhere to buy a toaster. :panic:

Or the ones who arrogantly proclaim I can drive in the snow, Im ok, then go out for something worthless.

Or the ones who use the car even though they could actually walk.

Daisy De - you had to go and take your dog to the vets. I would have had dh do the same :thumbsup:

The oarents of a child who complained how bad the consitions were to drive in and yet live in my street and still drove school is 15 mins walk away max.

Just about to go out and make another snowman :D:D

Daisy De
20-01-2013, 12:04 PM
He should have gone to the vet Friday Fussy, he has a huge sore on his face bless him, but there was no way even I would have attempted it Friday. Today my intention was to walk but surprisingly it was safer by car in the end as main roads are fine but pavements are a nightmare.

He now has antibiotics, we have bread milk and chocolate so all is well and I am going nowhere :D

manjay
20-01-2013, 12:20 PM
I love how life slows down! Usually at the weekend I feel the need to rush around and do all the little things I can't get out and do in the week but when it is unsafe to drive and you have to stay at home it's a great excuse to have some real quality family time. A bit of a pain that dh couldn't make it home this weekend due to the weather but I would prefer that we didn't see him and he remained safe.

We live quite high up in the hills and so are quite used to snow so I am always prepared. It is snowing hard again here now so hopefully we are in for another day of fun tomorrow. This is definitely one of those times that I appreciate working at home. I would hate the stress of a boss pressurising me to go in to work.

jillplum
20-01-2013, 12:40 PM
All our schools were open as normal on friday but we are forecast more snow tonight so we are all hoping everything is closed and we can avoid the school and nusery runs with a buggy in the deep snow. I love the snow but dont like kids throwing snowballs at my windows :angry:

kellib
20-01-2013, 12:40 PM
I love it, when I don't have to go far in it!

All ours is gone now though :( we did have a fun day in it yesterday though and we are forecast more tomorrow. Been disappointed in the little amount we've had!

Still having a lazy Sunday though :thumbsup:

FussyElmo
20-01-2013, 01:18 PM
Snowman made and of course had to have a snowball fight :laughing::laughing:

We are all now in cuddled up watching young justice on cartoon network finishing off the last tin of christmas chocolates :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Starting to snow again here only lightly though - come on send us lots weather gods enjoying the snow and we wont get it like this again for a while :D

PixiePetal
20-01-2013, 01:46 PM
I like it once it settles and I can go out with my camera.

Not so much fun now the kids are no longer kids and don't want to build snowmen :rolleyes:

Don't like all the wet clothes trying to dry when we have been out - no worse than a rainy day though!

Don't mind being stuck at the house - live in the country so no where in walking distance but I see no one for as long as it takes for buses to run again and can't shop so no fresh bread (but going to make my own today so not all bad :))

No work for me tomorrow anyway and don't know if mindees will get to me for Tues - they are 5 mins drive away but that's a long walk for littlies in these conditions when the roads are icy and no pavements in narrow country lanes which are slippy to the point of dangerous - one lane traffic with passing places :rolleyes: We will see.

jillplum
20-01-2013, 03:07 PM
I think I am lucky as I can walk everywhere I need to go eg bank and shops and schools etc so am never stuck no matter how much snow we have. Can even walk to visit elderley mother so no need to worry about that either. Bring on more snow please.

20-01-2013, 03:15 PM
I love the snow but am now praying for school closures tomorrow as one of the preschools I have to collect from, I will have to drive to and I am petrified of driving in the snow :(. Plus I don't really fancy the double buggy in this weather either!

FussyElmo
20-01-2013, 03:38 PM
I think I am lucky as I can walk everywhere I need to go eg bank and shops and schools etc so am never stuck no matter how much snow we have. Can even walk to visit elderley mother so no need to worry about that either. Bring on more snow please.

I cant drive so this weather doesnt faze me. Everything like yourself is in wlaking distance. Asda is about 25 mins away so unless we get feet deep of snow I will still get about :thumbsup:

mandy moo
20-01-2013, 04:37 PM
Cant stand the stuff, I hate it more than I hate rain, I wish it would rain and so get rid of it.. Roll on the slightly warmer months Bah humbug

cathtee
20-01-2013, 05:18 PM
Love it when it first comes down, but had it all day again today fed up of it now, it's holding up my builders doing my conservatory only
managed to dig the footings on thursday and thats it:crying: I want my playroom

bunyip
20-01-2013, 05:39 PM
We've nearly worn out the snow on the sledging hill. Some bare/brown patches showing now.

We were supposed to get more snow today but, if anything, we've had a bit of a thaw.

Couldn't see what all the fuss was about in Wales. The news said the Met Office had put out a 'red snow warning' for Wales, and I thought "that should look good". But as far as I could see on the TV news, Wales just got white snow like the rest of us. :rolleyes:

Ripeberry
20-01-2013, 05:46 PM
I've liked the snow, but it seems too 'mild'. Coldest it's been so far is -1c. Would rather have another big dumping maybe next weekend when the weather breaks down :thumbsup:

FussyElmo
20-01-2013, 05:54 PM
We've nearly worn out the snow on the sledging hill. Some bare/brown patches showing now.

We were supposed to get more snow today but, if anything, we've had a bit of a thaw.

Couldn't see what all the fuss was about in Wales. The news said the Met Office had put out a 'red snow warning' for Wales, and I thought "that should look good". But as far as I could see on the TV news, Wales just got white snow like the rest of us. :rolleyes:

I need need need more snow.

Want to make an igloo tomorrow but really do need lots more snow :thumbsup:

loocyloo
20-01-2013, 06:49 PM
we need more snow! the sledging hill ( conviently just across the road :D:thumbsup:) has worn bare to mud in places, although DS has been mastering the jumps !!!

this is the first year that mine have been more interested in sledging than building a snowman, so apart from a snowman built last tuesday by mindees, there is nothing in my garden, except pristine fresh snow!

we had lots of snow friday/overnight and a bit on sat morning.

and we have more forecast tonight & tomorrow, so hopefully no school tomorrow ! there is already a plan for a mass meet up on the sledging hill in the morning :thumbsup: ( maybe us mums will go anyway if the children are at school ;) )

should be working tuesday and i just know that the mindees will be brought to me regardless of how bad the roads are :panic: i won't be driving anywhere until the snow & ice has gone from the roads.

bunyip
20-01-2013, 06:55 PM
My snowman has gone!!! :(

I asked if they'd seen him in John Lewis cos I know he likes shopping there, but the staff just looked at me as if I were mad. :rolleyes:

rickysmiths
20-01-2013, 07:11 PM
It's snowed all day here stopped in the last hour. Ds has just has his Snowline call confirming his school is closed tomorrow and the other two High schools in our town have said they are closed. Our nearest Primary have said they will decide at 7am they were the one last week that got everyone in and then closed at 9.30am :panic: So bad they are at the top of a steep hill and so unfair on the parents to close so early in the day all the others closed at 12.30 or said parents could collect early if they wanted to.

Don't want anymore snow it looks pretty but it is a pain if you want to go anywhere.

Loushah
22-01-2013, 09:18 PM
I'm so fed up with the snow, drive a 9 seater which is rear wheeled drive and collect / drop up children from their home, school, nursery. I've had so many problems getting up hills, parking and getting stuck, getting off my drive. I really don't want any more but more snow is predicted :-(