PDA

View Full Version : LJ for those attending school

eidoj1985
19-01-2013, 09:44 AM
Morning

I had my OFSTED inspection yesterday and was told I need to be keeping a record of progress on those in Reception.
The annoying thing is the 2 children in reception attend after school clubs and then I pick them up for the last hour so never see their teacher.
The parents have also advised they are happy for me to just 'keep them entertained' until they collect them.

However, from my inspection, I now have to book an appointment with their teacher to establish details on the children's stages.
Just wondered how many of you also do this? And how you record any observations?
As she advised because the main care is being done by the school I don't need to keep a detailed LJ maybe just a diary that can go between me, the parents and the school.

Many thanks
Jodie

blue bear
19-01-2013, 10:32 AM
I wonder how many ofsted inspectors have a ever been childminders and collected children from schools, teachers are run off the feet with the work they do already they don't have time to hold meetings with childminders to inform them of the child's progress, getting thirty reception children ready to go and out of the door is a massive acheciement in itself without trying to tell each childminder how little johnny did today.

I ask mum for copies of reports, I also print off any info from the school website especially the class pages, I make a note of the planning for the term (our school send it home to parents so I photocopy that) and I look at what has been put out in a morning and ask the child about it when I collect.
I carry on with making observations at home as I did ore starting school but obviously a lot less to reflect the time I have little one.

sarah707
19-01-2013, 12:27 PM
No this inspector is wrong :panic:

The EYFS 2012 clearly states that we are no longer responsible for a child's learning and development once they are in full time school!!

This is the wording -

EYFS 2012 requirement 1.3 - Wrap around (care offered before and after a school day, e.g. by an after school club or by a childminder) and holiday providers (provision exclusively in the school holidays) should be guided by, but do not necessarily need to meet, all the learning and development requirements. Practitioners should discuss with parents and/or carers (and other practitioners and providers as appropriate) the support they intend to offer, seeking to complement learning in settings in which children spend more time.

As you can see reading this you need to ask school and parents what they want you to do with the child, record it somewhere and then get on with involving them in fun activities and letting them 'chill' after school.

You need to challenge the inspector.

You DO NOT need to speak to the teacher beyond a quick 'we do this and that with the children' or 'what reading scheme do you use?' or 'can I have a list of letter formation for when we write names?'

Hth :D

eidoj1985
19-01-2013, 05:32 PM
Great thank you both.

I'm glad its not just me who thinks this was wrong.
I was also one of the reasons I was only graded as satisfactory. The other issue raised that contributed to that was that I don't celebrate different cultures and religions enough.

Max71
22-01-2013, 08:16 PM
I too had that comment from my inspector about providing the EYFS for a child in reception who I only see for 2 hrs a week and most of that time is spent walking home and giving her tea, when I mentioned the stat framework she just said I still need to do it. Grrrr