PDA

View Full Version : Combining LJ & daily diary. Can I have your thoughts please?

Mouse
14-01-2013, 06:41 PM
I do an A5 daily diary for each child in my care. These are quite comprehensive. I write what the child has been doing, where we've been, what they've played with, achievements, new things I've noted, things they've said etc. I'll often comment how this shows good physical development, or how a certain activity will help with C & L development etc. I include photos of what the child has been done, or pictures of their art work. I'll sometimes write about what an activity or interest will lead on to (ie what else I plan to do) and some ideas of what parents can do at home.

I feel as if my LJs are a bit repetitive of the diary. I'll pick up on something the child has done, write an observation on it, link it to the development matters chart and plan some next steps. The problem is parents see the daily diary every day, but the LJ only every few months. By the time they read the LJ the event I've observed will have happened some time ago and they'll already have read about it in the diary.

I've had a new lo start recently who only comes for 6 hours a week (2 days for 3 hours). I've done her a joint diary/LJ. I've started it with a couple of weeks of usual diary notes. I've then done a round up of where she's at in her development to give my starting points. This has come from what I've noticed & what parents have told me. After the assessment I've done some ideas for next steps, planned some activities & given some ideas for things parents can do with her. IN the back of the book I've put the development matters grids. I've highlighted where she's at now and dated it to tie up with the assessment. As I see her do new things I'll obviously write them in the diary and plan to highlight the grid & date it to show where the evidence is in the diary. I've told parents they're more than welcome to do the same. They can comment in the diary & highlight the development grid if they want to, showing that it's them who have noted something.

Every now & again I'll do another round up of where she's at in each area of development and do the next lot of planning.

So, what do people think? Can you see any problems? Have you got any suggestions?

dette
14-01-2013, 06:44 PM
what if it gets lost or doesnt come in every day ? imagine a week before OFSTED come and you've nothing to show for all your hard work

Mouse
14-01-2013, 06:56 PM
what if it gets lost or doesnt come in every day ? imagine a week before OFSTED come and you've nothing to show for all your hard work

Very good point. Glad i asked now!

Most of my parents are very good at the moment. They love the daily diaries & take great care with them. Only one isn't really bothered so I've stopped doing her one, She just has the LJ and a brief weekly round up (which I know she doesn't read!).

LauraS
21-01-2013, 11:54 PM

If you had a good quality digital camera or scanner it wouldn't take too long to photograph sample pages of the diary periodically, just in.case.