PDA

View Full Version : Re-thinking my LJs and need some help!

Mcgons
14-01-2013, 04:05 PM
Had a resources sort out, now I'm onto my learning journeys but driving myself crazy so need some help!

I'm happy with the content, and everything being in date order but think there's a bit too much writing and not as child/parent friendly as I'd like them to be.

Currently have an observation form 2 to a page with Name, Date, What Happened, What does it mean, EYFS links and Next Steps on. I use these with a pogo printer photo. Usually fill in 1/2 of these sheets a month as all my children are part time.

Then I have a sheet for quick obs, notes, interests, parent comments etc that I fill in more often to help me plan. These sheets are pre-printed too with column for Date, Obs/Interest, Notes/Next Steps and link to area of learning. It's these I want to change though as they are just on white paper and I think end up with too much writing. I've changed them a few times over last couple of years and still not happy with them!

I also have a sheet for photos not linked to obs. So I was wondering if I could incorporate these with the quick obs, but not sure how to present them.

Any help much appreciated!

blue bear
14-01-2013, 04:51 PM
I get four of my obs sheet on an a4 page with 4 pogo photos. I decided I was writing too much and made the forms as small as I could to stop me writing too much, parents are pleased with the result as they are only really interested I. The pictures, I have an a4 sized obs sheet for longer obs that I feel necessary, usually works put about three a year.
If you don't want to write so much don't and see how things look.

Mcgons
14-01-2013, 05:44 PM
Blue bear - Do you add anything else into the LJ like parent comments or other photos or just obs and summative assessments?

sarah707
14-01-2013, 06:13 PM
My LJs contain - my play plan (in free resources), occasional longer obs, children's pictures, photos of crafts, messages from parents, working with other settings info, regular summary assessments (6 monthly - 2 pages max), all about me now forms completed by parents (or me depending on the family)...

I have forms with pictures and others without... I often use coloured paper to make them brighter... the children add their marks too.

Hth :D

Mcgons
14-01-2013, 07:04 PM
My LJs contain - my play plan (in free resources), occasional longer obs, children's pictures, photos of crafts, messages from parents, working with other settings info, regular summary assessments (6 monthly - 2 pages max), all about me now forms completed by parents (or me depending on the family)...

I have forms with pictures and others without... I often use coloured paper to make them brighter... the children add their marks too.

I had a sheet a bit like your play plan split into weeks but sometimes there were gaps if we had a busy week and I hadn't made notes as some children are only here 2 days for a few hours so it didn't look right! ( I am fussy!) Where do you write your parent comments?

I was wondering whether to use stickers on coloured paper but not sure how to stick them in to make it look ok!

SYLVIA
14-01-2013, 07:12 PM

Never considered it before but the coloured paper sounds quite a good idea. Sometimes plain white paper can look a bit unfinished

sarah707
14-01-2013, 07:20 PM
My new play plans are here - http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/activity-ideas/112861-chinese-new-year-feb-week-1-planning.html - you will see that at the bottom of the second page I have a 'sharing info with parents' section and I put comments back and forth in that.

I also evaluate my group planning and include parent feedback where possible... but that's not individual little person planning, that's from the older ones.

If I have a blank space I ask the child for comments... fill it with a picture... draw in a speech bubble and write something that's happened in a few words... add a pogo photo... :D

blue bear
14-01-2013, 07:27 PM
Mine are very similar sounding to Sarah's, children add (and parents) whatever they would like including family photos, postcards, picture child gas made at home etc. the lj belongs to the child and parents it's a working document created by all of us. Not everything is linked to development matters, I keep mine in the book corner for children to look at whenever they like, so they include extra writing and sometimes the odd rip but I think that just adds to it.

Mcgons
14-01-2013, 07:36 PM
Mine are very similar sounding to Sarah's, children add (and parents) whatever they would like including family photos, postcards, picture child gas made at home etc. the lj belongs to the child and parents it's a working document created by all of us. Not everything is linked to development matters, I keep mine in the book corner for children to look at whenever they like, so they include extra writing and sometimes the odd rip but I think that just adds to it.

Mine are like that too, it was just the page that I write some comments on is all writing and looks too much, I wanted to make it less formal! Thanks for your ideas :)

Mcgons
14-01-2013, 11:07 PM
My new play plans are here - http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/activity-ideas/112861-chinese-new-year-feb-week-1-planning.html - you will see that at the bottom of the second page I have a 'sharing info with parents' section and I put comments back and forth in that.

I also evaluate my group planning and include parent feedback where possible... but that's not individual little person planning, that's from the older ones.

If I have a blank space I ask the child for comments... fill it with a picture... draw in a speech bubble and write something that's happened in a few words... add a pogo photo... :D

On the 2nd sheet titled 'Observations of my play', how do you fill that in? Several comments over the month or just one observation?