PDA

View Full Version : Housing benefit and expenses?

nataly
13-01-2013, 11:16 AM
Hello, could anyone inform me whether someone who works part time and receives housing benefit can still claim a percentage of rent and council tax -on the amount they contribute?

Many thanks!

pat75
13-01-2013, 12:19 PM
hi, you can claim only on the amount you have to pay after deducting housing benefit.

nataly
13-01-2013, 02:06 PM
THank you! :)

MrAnchovy
13-01-2013, 04:47 PM
hi, you can claim only on the amount you have to pay after deducting housing benefit.

What makes you say that?

I have not actually come across this before and I don't have access to the resources I need to check today, I'll have a look tomorrow.

MrAnchovy
13-01-2013, 05:15 PM
Oh, can do it today after all.

Providing you have a contract that obliges you to pay rent (and are not in council or similar accomodation that is provided rent-free with a "notional" claim for HB), then yes you can claim it in the same way as you could if you were not claiming HB.

Furthermore, whereas most self employed people would have to exclude the amount claimed as a business expense from the amount of rent for HB (which would probably make them better off not claiming it as a business expense), as childminders' profits are generally calculated for housing benefit purposes as 1/3 of their gross income, the amount of rent declared for HB will not be affected.

pat75
13-01-2013, 05:57 PM
Oh, can do it today after all.

Providing you have a contract that obliges you to pay rent (and are not in council or similar accomodation that is provided rent-free with a "notional" claim for HB), then yes you can claim it in the same way as you could if you were not claiming HB.

Furthermore, whereas most self employed people would have to exclude the amount claimed as a business expense from the amount of rent for HB (which would probably make them better off not claiming it as a business expense), as childminders' profits are generally calculated for housing benefit purposes as 1/3 of their gross income, the amount of rent declared for HB will not be affected.

Hello MrAnchovy,
sorry but don't understand what are you saying. Are you talking about HB not being affected by claiming it as a expense or percentage of rent we can claim as an expense is not change by HB?

MrAnchovy
13-01-2013, 09:14 PM
Both of those :D