PDA

View Full Version : an example of filled in long/short obs sheets.

hulahooper
11-01-2013, 04:21 PM
Is anyone willing to share a filled in obs sheet pls? I'm confused with ehat to write - it's not a ticklist/it's not whole statements. Obviously, no names and I am not going to copy forms - unless someone says I can - I do have my own but writing down the links I am unsure about.

Any help and examples greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Sent from my LT26i using Childminding Forum

tori4
11-01-2013, 06:56 PM
Is anyone willing to share a filled in obs sheet pls? I'm confused with ehat to write - it's not a ticklist/it's not whole statements. Obviously, no names and I am not going to copy forms - unless someone says I can - I do have my own but writing down the links I am unsure about.

Any help and examples greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Can't say what I do is right but I use the 'slogans' from learning developments - unique child section of EYFs and reword to personalise for example

'Bob' notices and is interested in the effects of making movements which leave marks - whizzy cream/shaving foam activity

Bob uses his senses to explore and is engaged in the open-ended activity - bread making - playing with the dough

'Jane' runs skilfully n negotiates space suggesfully - playing in the garden - park dodging other children.

I do not do this on everyone one and always give a title bit like a newspaper headline

Others I may just write what happen what the child said etc.

I do use a computer system EYFS made simple bit like 'baby days' much simpler n cost effect it gives u the ability to link loads to each observation with out having to write out 101 times. It give me the time to do more in depth obs on every other one.

Sarah shared a document the other day with. 'Key phases' this too looks very useful but I have not used it yet.

Like I said dnot know if it is right but it makes sense to me n I feel it helps me to learn the 'lingo' for Mrs O .

hulahooper
11-01-2013, 07:07 PM
Thanks for ur reply. I'd be interested to know what this eyfs thing is

SammyL
11-01-2013, 07:52 PM
Can't say what I do is right but I use the 'slogans' from learning developments - unique child section of EYFs and reword to personalise for example

'Bob' notices and is interested in the effects of making movements which leave marks - whizzy cream/shaving foam activity

Bob uses his senses to explore and is engaged in the open-ended activity - bread making - playing with the dough

'Jane' runs skilfully n negotiates space suggesfully - playing in the garden - park dodging other children.

I do not do this on everyone one and always give a title bit like a newspaper headline

Others I may just write what happen what the child said etc.

I do use a computer system EYFS made simple bit like 'baby days' much simpler n cost effect it gives u the ability to link loads to each observation with out having to write out 101 times. It give me the time to do more in depth obs on every other one.

Sarah shared a document the other day with. 'Key phases' this too looks very useful but I have not used it yet.

Like I said dnot know if it is right but it makes sense to me n I feel it helps me to learn the 'lingo' for Mrs O .

What is the computer system you use?

Have you had any word about an inspection yet? I registered in Aug too x

tori4
11-01-2013, 08:18 PM
What is the computer system you use?

Have you had any word about an inspection yet? I registered in Aug too x

It's called EYFS made simple - design by a hubby of a childminder I have been using if for abt 2ys after spending the 1st yr changing obs forms every 5 minutes. Can do accounts on it to which is added bonus and the tech support guy is gr8 ESP after my computer 'died' over christmas

No I am on the edge of my seat waiting to hear from Ofsted feel ready n everything in place not like last time. I have even started checking reports in the local area to see if anyone close by has had one and apart from newly reg there was only a handful from 2009 :-(

SammyL
11-01-2013, 08:42 PM
It's called EYFS made simple - design by a hubby of a childminder I have been using if for abt 2ys after spending the 1st yr changing obs forms every 5 minutes. Can do accounts on it to which is added bonus and the tech support guy is gr8 ESP after my computer 'died' over christmas

No I am on the edge of my seat waiting to hear from Ofsted feel ready n everything in place not like last time. I have even started checking reports in the local area to see if anyone close by has had one and apart from newly reg there was only a handful from 2009 :-(

Ah great, thanks.
Ill have a look tomorrow. How do you check reports in your area? x

tori4
12-01-2013, 01:55 PM
Ah great, thanks.
Ill have a look tomorrow. How do you check reports in your area? x

You can search ofsted reports in local area for EY home based childcare - must say ofsted site is not that easy to get around but once u have worked it out they r all there - it's the not knowing I dnot like so as much possible information is at least gonna make me feel less edgy.

hulahooper
12-01-2013, 10:47 PM
So is there no examples of a filled in obs sheet?

sarah707
13-01-2013, 10:16 AM
You might find this document useful - http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/Free%20downloads/Resources/Observation%20prompts.pdf

Obs - Jane is playing in the playdough, using cutters to make shapes. She names 'square' and 'circle' and we talk about a triangle and count the sides.

Assessment - link it to maths and communication and language for Jane's age and ability

Next steps / individual planning - do some other shape activities

Characteristics - if you want to include them - Jane concentrated on her chosen game for quite a while - active learning

Hth :D

littlegremlins
14-01-2013, 10:17 PM
You might find this document useful - http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/Free%20downloads/Resources/Observation%20prompts.pdf
Hth :D

Thanks for that, very useful 'at a glance' document. Much appreciated.

tori4
15-01-2013, 05:48 PM
Hi I'm trying to start new post but can't seem to access front page from iPhone app?

My questions is how to extend activities for mindee who is nearly 18mths but all he does is carry stuff I've looked into Schemas n can't see how it matches any as he is not 'transporting' in anything bag/car/ pushchair etc he just holds lots of things in his hands/arms n goes round trying to pick more things up?? If he is not holding picking things up they r in his mouth I tried a bit of 'posting' the other day which he did join in with but wasn't to bothered just carried on holding everything .

Also as a side thing no vocab - apart from the odd 'errrrr' and point but it is just a 'errr'.
Errrrr for drink
Errrr for toy
Errr for food
Errrrr for mummy ( at door)

Any ideas would b gr8 and sorry for tagging onto this post if anyone can move to its own feel free

XT