PDA

View Full Version : How does everyone take first payment?

sineadquinn
08-01-2013, 12:25 PM
I've got a potential mindee visiting tomorrow and it looks like I'm not going to have my contracts in time :-( I also wanted to familiarise myself with them and have a loom at the payment section as I'm really unsure of what to ask for/ how to be paid. From your experience what seems the best way to do this? What deposit do you take from them?

Thanks again x

JCrakers
08-01-2013, 12:35 PM
I always get a deposit of a percentage of the first month. So a full timer would be £150 deposit whereas someone who just wanted 1-2 days would be £25-£50.
This then comes off the first months bill. Some people keep it until the end and return it.
I get paid in advance so I have a little one starting on the 4th of feb so I've asked for Febs money to be in my bank by the 1st of feb :)

Then if they decide to do a runner, I've got the money upfront and don't have to chase for it.
Most of my parents do a monthly bank transfer and 1 pays weekly. I don't accept cheques as I can't get to the bank with the children.

AliceK
08-01-2013, 12:43 PM
I always get a deposit of a percentage of the first month. So a full timer would be £150 deposit whereas someone who just wanted 1-2 days would be £25-£50.
This then comes off the first months bill. Some people keep it until the end and return it.
I get paid in advance so I have a little one starting on the 4th of feb so I've asked for Febs money to be in my bank by the 1st of feb :)

Then if they decide to do a runner, I've got the money upfront and don't have to chase for it.
Most of my parents do a monthly bank transfer and 1 pays weekly. I don't accept cheques as I can't get to the bank with the children.

I do the same. I get 2 weeks money as a deposit to secure the place, I refund this off the first months invoice. Always get paid in advance, no exceptions. Parents can pay me however they wish to except cheque. Most use childcare vouchers for part payment and the rest usually online banking.

xxxx

sineadquinn
08-01-2013, 01:41 PM
That's great thanks. All seems so obvious when someone else says it, Really not sure what i would do without this site :-) xx

serin
08-01-2013, 09:16 PM
That's great thanks. All seems so obvious when someone else says it, Really not sure what i would do without this site :-) xx

I ask for one weeks pay in advance. They come to see me and then I arrange another day to meet again and sign contracts.

TAZ
08-01-2013, 10:12 PM
I've got a potential mindee visiting tomorrow and it looks like I'm not going to have my contracts in time :-( I also wanted to familiarise myself with them and have a loom at the payment section as I'm really unsure of what to ask for/ how to be paid. From your experience what seems the best way to do this? What deposit do you take from them?

Thanks again x

Are you waiting for NCMA contracts? Do you know another local childminder who could give you a NCMA contract,then once yours turn up you can return one. Someone did this for me when I was starting up & I have done likewise for others.
Having said that, don't worry too much about not having the contracts available for the first meeting.

migimoo
08-01-2013, 10:12 PM
I ask for 2 weeks in advance to cover settling in period then if everyone's happy they pay the rest of the month in advance then start paying on the 1st of the month in advance along with everyone else,

Hope that made sense!

babs
08-01-2013, 10:16 PM
i ask for payment on 1st day of minding.

lynncjt
10-01-2013, 08:26 PM
I ask for 2 weeks pay as deposit when contracts are signed which is kept until the end of the contract. Then first payment is due the day the child starts. All parents so far have been happy with this and it allows me to be a little flexible with payments from the parent.

SGreenie
16-01-2013, 07:59 PM
My parents have all paid a full month in advance on the first day of the children coming