PDA

View Full Version : New-policies, Nat Stand. or Welfare Req.?

MicheH
24-06-2008, 07:11 AM
Hi,

I'm at the very beginning of the registration process but trying to sort out my files and paperwork.

My place of work has been successfully carrying out EYFS for almost 2 years now (reception class) so I feel I am confident in understanding how the profile works. I have not looked at B23 and i'm clueless as to what it entails or how different it is from how I already work.

I am keen to start my policies - infact i've completed Safeguarding, Information and Communication, Outings and Premises all based on the Welfare Requirements. I put a lot of hard work into those policies and would hate to be bouncing off on the wrong track!

The only reason I have EYFS is because of work. I'm concerned because all the paperwork I have is about the National Standards but surely it would be pointless basing my policies on this as it is null and void in September?

What do you think. I relise I shouldn't be bogged down with policies but it helps me understand the Welfare Requirents, a good resource for me to have and I am terrible about organisation and having everything ' just so!'

WHat do you think? Am I on the right track?

deeb66
24-06-2008, 07:22 AM
I think you would be better off basing them around EYFS.

I was at a training session for newbie childminders last night and they are being told to work around EYFS because their first major inspection will not be done until after September so it is pointless in doing all your policies etc to the standards.

They have also been told to be aware of the standards and talk to the Inspector on the pre reg inspection about the standards but the inspector will not really be paying too much attention to policies etc at that stage.

HTH

sarah707
24-06-2008, 08:12 AM
Hi,

I'm at the very beginning of the registration process but trying to sort out my files and paperwork.

My place of work has been successfully carrying out EYFS for almost 2 years now (reception class) so I feel I am confident in understanding how the profile works. I have not looked at B23 and i'm clueless as to what it entails or how different it is from how I already work.

I wouldn't worry, most of us who used it didn't have a clue either!

EYFS makes much more sense ... time to move on!

I am keen to start my policies - infact i've completed Safeguarding, Information and Communication, Outings and Premises all based on the Welfare Requirements. I put a lot of hard work into those policies and would hate to be bouncing off on the wrong track!

Feel free to run them by me if you want - you can pm me for my email address

The only reason I have EYFS is because of work. I'm concerned because all the paperwork I have is about the National Standards but surely it would be pointless basing my policies on this as it is null and void in September?

What do you think. I relise I shouldn't be bogged down with policies but it helps me understand the Welfare Requirents, a good resource for me to have and I am terrible about organisation and having everything ' just so!'

I am currently re-writing all mine to work with EYFS as well. Eyfs is good practice and by the time you are registered it will be law so go with it ...

WHat do you think? Am I on the right track?

I think so! :D

sue m
24-06-2008, 08:50 AM
I have been told by my CSDO to re-write them because all my policies mentioned National Standards and she said it is as we know, null and void in September. I've had to do them all again removing any mention of the N.S.

All that reading and typing them and printing them out for nothing in my case! :mad:

Sue x

sarah707
24-06-2008, 08:58 AM
They are still legal until September ... not sure you should have been 'told' to change them.

Maybe advised it's a good idea to do something before Sept, but 'told' now sounds a bit tough on you Sue. :(

miffy
24-06-2008, 10:02 AM
I have been told by my CSDO to re-write them because all my policies mentioned National Standards and she said it is as we know, null and void in September. I've had to do them all again removing any mention of the N.S.

All that reading and typing them and printing them out for nothing in my case! :mad:

Sue x

That seems harsh and, as Sarah said, the National Standards still apply until 31/8 so your policies should reflect that.

miffy xx

sue m
24-06-2008, 10:14 AM
That's what my CSDO said but maybe cos I'm not working yet and if I get a mindee, might not get the inspection till September???

I don't know. She just told me to type it out again and take everything to do with N.S. out. She's coming again on the 30th so I'll ask her. My CSDO is lovely and she did 'tell' me but in a nice way :)

Sue x x

miffy
24-06-2008, 10:17 AM
I can see her reasoning but Ofsted might not feel the same way.

I think it's really difficult for newly registered minders or those in the process of registering because you are caught between two systems.

If the advice given was consistent it wouldn't matter because everyone would know where they stood.

miffy xx