PDA

View Full Version : where to begin?

hannah1986
06-01-2013, 09:00 PM
Hi

I am newly registered and I have a potential client coming to look around this week ...

In terms of before the child starts (if they take the place) what do I need to get sorted- daily dairy and learning journal but what else? Where do I begin when it comes to observing the child- do I observe them at an activity then go from there with regards to the EYFS?

Thanks
Hannahx

Rick
06-01-2013, 09:18 PM
Hi

I am newly registered and I have a potential client coming to look around this week ...

In terms of before the child starts (if they take the place) what do I need to get sorted- daily dairy and learning journal but what else? Where do I begin when it comes to observing the child- do I observe them at an activity then go from there with regards to the EYFS?

Thanks
Hannahx

Hi well done!

You can get a blank diary and learning journal ready but nothing to put in it until the child starts. Daily diary would inform the parents what the child did that day, nappies, naps, food eaten etc.
You wouldn't necessarily need to do a formal observation every day. I personally take photos during the day, whether during an activity or free play or on an outing. I then decide if there is anything form the photos that is noteworthy and write an observation, assess using the Development Matters document and write next steps. Next steps can be either planning to follow interests (maybe the child played with toy animals) or if you notice say the child trying to crawl, set up your environment to encourage them to crawl.
Any other photos which I deem of interest to the parent and any artwork can go into the journal.

You will need to do something in the way of planning before the child comes to you. You don't know what the child likes yet but you know the age so think of age appropriate toys or activities you could do with the child.
You will need an attendance register ready, either one from the NCMA or our own version.

Hope this helps