PDA

View Full Version : Q - Risk Assessments for Visitors?

BusyKids
06-01-2013, 04:35 PM
Its the last q I have to answer. Q 15 - what should be covered in the risk assessment? Do you intend to record your risk assessment and, if so, how do you intend doing this?

(Q 14 was about ensuring children are never left alone with adults who haven't been vetted or cleared so I'm assuming this is what Q 15 is about)

bunyip
06-01-2013, 05:37 PM
Discourage unnecessary visitors during childminding hours.
Official visitors (e.g. authorised inspectors, utility meter readers, etc.) to have their identity/credentials checked before being allowed onto the premises. Visitors book to be completed.
Will your RA be written or just kept in your head?
:)

BusyKids
06-01-2013, 10:00 PM
Thanks for your reply, I think in my head - will that matter?

miffy
07-01-2013, 07:59 AM
Some info on this thread that might help you

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/risk-assessments/112629-risk-assessment-requirements-updated-info.html#top

Miffy xx

bunyip
07-01-2013, 09:12 AM
Thanks for your reply, I think in my head - will that matter?

No, it won't necessarily be a problem. Plenty of CMs manage their RAs effectively that way. The 'new improved' EYFS has no requirement for CMs to have written RAs.

I personally prefer to have mine written because:-

I already had them from when they were a requirement.
I personally work better with things on paper.

If you're going have 'in your head' RA's then you should show that you are aware of the potential pitfalls and have a strategy to manage that. Otherwise, they may just assume you've gone for the easy option without putting in much thought.

Can you remember everything?
Can you demonstrate consistency, eg. when asked about them by parents or an Ofsted inspector. ?
How will you demonstrate that you review your RAs on a regular basis?
If you took on an assistant, how could you both be sure that you're working to exactly the same RA?

Another thing to consider, irrespective of whether or not your RAs are written. A key phrase that's often looked for these days is that we should "continually risk assess in each situation". This is what we all do all the time: keep our eyes and ears open for danger. It's just that if you don't state it, then the lovely educationalists and Ofsted people (who all appear to have been out on the day they were supposed to receive Common Sense induction training from the Department of the B:censored:g Obvious) refuse to believe that you do it. :rolleyes:

BusyKids
08-01-2013, 10:28 AM
Thanks for your replies. On paper it is :thumbsup: