PDA

View Full Version : Planning

SharonB
23-06-2008, 09:11 PM
I have been a part time registered childminder for older children but am now going to try this full time for babies/todlers and need some advise on planning and how to document plans. EYFS course very mind boggling. Any suggestions or successful ways you have documented ideas for planning for the individual children?:

sarah707
23-06-2008, 09:20 PM
All planning starts with observation and assessment ...

So to start with, you watch the child and see what he can do / how he learns / what his interests are etc.

For under 3s, follow the child's interests through play. Watch out for current and emerging schemas and complement those with activities that you know he will enjoy.

For over 3s, you can start including some planned activities, but make sure they follow what the child wants to do ... and cover themes that the child will be / is interested in. Make sure your activities are fully inclusive - everyone should get a go if they want and make use of both indoors and outside equally.

It's important that you show how the activities you plan for children link back to eyfs so get to know the learning and development grids really well for each child's age and stage.

You also need to show your activities enhance the child's learning experience ...which you do through observations, so the whole process starts again.

There is free information available on the eyfs pages of www.bromleycma.org.uk.

Hope that makes sense ... I've written 2 books on observations and planning for EYFS but that's the theory in a nutshell. :D

donnahay0
23-06-2008, 10:17 PM
I can thoroughly recommed Sarah's e-books - they are brilliant and not at all expensive. Sarah manages to get them written as she never sleeps you know. (ha)

SharonB
07-07-2008, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the reply. Sorry for the late reply. been a bit busy. I've started to practice on my daughter and am a bit more reassured. I just need to get used to linking it all to the EYFS documentation!:clapping: