PDA

View Full Version : Just read The Guilty One by Lisa Ballantyne....very good

VeggieSausage
30-12-2012, 11:31 AM
I have just read a book my daughter got me for Christmas, and I recommend it. Its called The Guilty One by Lisa Ballantyne and I think it one the book choice for Richard and Judy's book club this year. Anyway it has 2 stories running alongside each other, one of a boy in foster care and about his life as a child and then as him as an adult working as a lawyer and defending a boy who is being accused or murdering another little boy. Not as harrowing as it sounds and a nice easy read, couldn't put it down.

Anyone else got any recommendations?

bunyip
30-12-2012, 11:53 AM
i just finished "Where's Spot?" :D

silvermist
30-12-2012, 03:29 PM
I have just read a book my daughter got me for Christmas, and I recommend it. Its called The Guilty One by Lisa Ballantyne and I think it one the book choice for Richard and Judy's book club this year. Anyway it has 2 stories running alongside each other, one of a boy in foster care and about his life as a child and then as him as an adult working as a lawyer and defending a boy who is being accused or murdering another little boy. Not as harrowing as it sounds and a nice easy read, couldn't put it down.

Anyone else got any recommendations?

Oooh, thanks for that. Im always looking for something to read. Will look out for it and let you know how I get on xx

cathtee
30-12-2012, 05:30 PM
I like the Cathy Glass books although they are very heart tugging. I think because they are about her being a foster carer and me being
in childcare I can somehow relate to her but if you do read them be prepared with a tissue and not be able to put them down I read my
first one in about 6 hours while on holiday a very nice lady gave it to me (she is a social worker working with children) so she related to
her too.

Rosy Days
30-12-2012, 10:49 PM
Hi, I'm reading 'Me Before You' by Jojo Moyles, really enjoying it, its got excellent reviews on Amazon x

One of my absolute favourite books is 'Once in a house on fire' by Andrea Ashworth :) x

VeggieSausage
31-12-2012, 09:52 AM
Will look up your recommendations, thanks. My friend has leant me The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern so have just started that, she loved it but just reading the blurb I am not sure I will, but will give it a go. I do have a kindle but still have a load of books to plough through, am going to try and read all my paperbacks and then pass them on to someone else and have a bit of a cull of books as we have so many.....

hectors house
31-12-2012, 11:21 AM
Hi, I'm reading 'Me Before You' by Jojo Moyles, really enjoying it, its got excellent reviews on Amazon x

One of my absolute favourite books is 'Once in a house on fire' by Andrea Ashworth :) x

Better get a BIG box of tissues for "Me before you", I read it a couple of months ago - it is great, but a real tear jerker!

Im reading "The woman who went to bed for a year" - I had a travel kettle for my birthday yesterday and lots of chocolate - am tempted to join her!

bunyip
01-01-2013, 10:28 PM
I always used to wonder why people spend so much time reading the sort of book that makes you feel so utterly unhappy and miserable. :huh:

Then I turned on TV to find Gary Barlow whining along to the sound of his cash register jingling and thought - OMG, a book, any book, has to be better than watching this tripe. :panic: