PDA

View Full Version : observation help

claire85
20-12-2012, 12:54 PM
Just writing up an obvs on a child that made a firework picture - she drew a circle with glue and a paintbrush and then used one colour at a time in segements to cover the outline of the shape.
I get to looking at the eyfs grids and then i get undecided what to put see the statement explores colour and how colours can be changed . Yes she was exploring with colours as she was using different coloured glitters but she was using the colours in segements so she wasn't really mixing them not like paint where if she put to colours together it changes . when the glitte is mixed you still get the same colours !
Anybody have any thoguhts ??

blue bear
20-12-2012, 01:14 PM
Ead-exploring and using media
Manipulates materials to achieve desired effect. Uses simple tools and techniques appropriately.

Maths-shape
Shows an interest in shape and space. Uses shapes appropriate for task.

Physical development - moving and handling
Uses one hands tools. Hold glue stick in a pincer grip, two fingers and thumb.

I don't know how old the child is and obviously can only go on what you have put.

moggy
20-12-2012, 01:15 PM
We do not need to find a match to a statement in the DM for every obs- there are not enough statements in there and children do not do what it says in the book. I always use a bit of common sense and just a short glance at the areas of learning- so here they are using colour in a purposeful way, that is exploring media so I would label as EAD. Could also add PD for fine motor skills, and you might want to make a note to yourself that she is showing a characteristic of effective learning- Active learning, as she was concentrating and being involved.

claire85
20-12-2012, 01:20 PM
Thank you guys , i get so confused trying to find prcise ones and worry about getting things wrong if i miss out bits
!! thanks for your help

helena_j
20-12-2012, 01:46 PM
I rarely put a statement I highlight areas of development used within that obs and the I write up a next step too so maybe next time you could put to mix colours with the child as this was a new discovery you could explore next time?

VeggieSausage
20-12-2012, 03:52 PM
Or

EAD - Exploring magterials etc - 30-50mnths - Understands that they can use lines to enclose a space, and then begin to use these shapes to represent objects.