PDA

View Full Version : dog fleaing and worming? can I put this through?

xshellbellex
19-12-2012, 10:31 PM
Can I put dog fleaing and worming through for expenses. I am good responsible dog owner and would flea and worm my dog regular anyway but obviously due to childminding I have to do it

Anyone else claim for this
First time doing tax so a million and one questions

helena_j
19-12-2012, 10:33 PM
I can't help, but I am curious about this too as I still would do it but have to more so for childminding. Maybe a 50/50 split down the middle?

FussyElmo
20-12-2012, 06:54 AM
I wouldnt have thought so and you dont need the dog for childminding. You should flea and worm your dogs anyway even if you werenot cming so cant see it being a justified expense :)

MrAnchovy
20-12-2012, 10:26 AM
Some childminders keep small pets (hamsters, gerbils etc.) purely for mindees and in this case all costs are recoverable. A dog is likely to be just as much a family pet as part of your education for children in caring and taking responsibility, but providing your dog is 'used' in the business in this way I don't see any reason you can't claim a fair proportion.

MrAnchovy
20-12-2012, 10:38 AM
Should have said that if you don't 'use' the dog as part of your business then you cannot claim any pat of the cost as FussyElmo says - note that it doesn't matter whether you would spend the money if you were not childminding anyway, this is not enough to be able to claim something as an expense.

Daisy De
21-12-2012, 07:36 AM
I have 2 cats and 2 dogs they are all wormed every three months and defleaed (is that a word!) on the 1st of every month year round. Never thought to claim it as an expense because I would do it anyway even if I wasn't childminding.

I do have a form to record what I do though which Mrs O did study along with my risk assessment for the zoo! Don't think Mrs O was fond of animals, one cat frightened the life out of her when he tried to say hi. I did smile to myself I'm afraid as she wasn't a friendly Mrs O :blush:

xshellbellex
21-12-2012, 10:23 AM
thanks ladies

The dog does play a very large part in my setting. Most of the kids say they are coming to Bella's house (dog) not my house lol. The dog has really helped one of my mindees really develop in overcoming her fear of animals especially dogs which is one of the reasons why the parents wanted the child to come to me.

I think I will leave it out or do a percentage. Need to put what we can through:p