PDA

View Full Version : How to get rid of tiny flies on house plants

Maza
15-12-2012, 10:09 PM
Hi all,
I seem to have loads of tiny, flimsy flies in my house at the moment. I think they are coming from my house plants (hubby just recently re-potted them all). It is starting to get out of hand, for example, every time I put down a drink for five minutes there will probably be one floating in it when I go to pick it up. They always fly over to our food too :panic: Any ideas what may be causing it and how to get rid of them? Thanks x

jo.jo76
15-12-2012, 10:18 PM
Hi all,
I seem to have loads of tiny, flimsy flies in my house at the moment. I think they are coming from my house plants (hubby just recently re-potted them all). It is starting to get out of hand, for example, every time I put down a drink for five minutes there will probably be one floating in it when I go to pick it up. They always fly over to our food too :panic: Any ideas what may be causing it and how to get rid of them? Thanks x

I know the annoying flys you mean! They are harmless though! And one of the reasons I don't have house plants! The other is, I usually kill the plants anyway! lol

They are fungus gnats I expect and were probably in the soil you used to repot with. Remove loose soil and cover surface area with sand to stop them laying more eggs and don't let soil get too moist as they thrive in warm moist soil.
I expect if you do a search on google there are some pesticides you can use but covering soil usually helps
x

Maza
15-12-2012, 10:29 PM
I know the annoying flys you mean! They are harmless though! And one of the reasons I don't have house plants! The other is, I usually kill the plants anyway! lol

They are fungus gnats I expect and were probably in the soil you used to repot with. Remove loose soil and cover surface area with sand to stop them laying more eggs and don't let soil get too moist as they thrive in warm moist soil.
I expect if you do a search on google there are some pesticides you can use but covering soil usually helps
x

Yuk, yuk, yuk! Thanks, good idea. x

cathtee
15-12-2012, 11:09 PM
Hi all,

If they are drinking your drink THROW them out how dare they:laughing:

Maza
16-12-2012, 10:35 AM
If they are drinking your drink THROW them out how dare they:laughing:

I know! If they dare go near my mulled wine...!

Maza
16-12-2012, 08:32 PM
There is one on my computer screen right now and it just wont get off! It's really bugging me. Told DH to sort out the house plants (he hasn't of course). Is there a spray I can buy or is it not worth it for the tiny flys?