PDA

View Full Version : Can I use normal poster paint on canvas??

fionamadcat
15-12-2012, 11:38 AM
Ok so I bought some canvases a few weeks ago intending to do hand/foot print reindeer on them but it has just occured to me that I only have the normal ready made poster paint, don't really have time to get acrylic paint and it all looks quite expensive. Will this work?? I saw somewhere that if you mix the paint with a little pva glue it gives it a shiny sheen, should I try this? Help!

littletreasures
15-12-2012, 11:49 AM
I was going to do the reindeer footprints on canvas too.
I went into my local art shop to get some poster paint and bumped in to my next door neighbour who worked there. I told her what I was going to do and she said I would need to coat the canvas with something otherwise the poster paint will flake off when dry.

She took my canvases and did it for me at home. I don't know what it was but the footprints look fantastic. I will try and find out for you.

fionamadcat
15-12-2012, 12:14 PM
Thank you x

moggy
15-12-2012, 12:31 PM
I used poster paint on normal canvases, no problem. Acrylic is very tricky with children as once it dries it will NOT come off at all and is a nightmare on clothes. The canvases are pre-prepared and ready to use, old fashioned artists canvases would need priming but nowadays these cheap little canvases on a wooden frame are ready to use.

Bear23
15-12-2012, 12:48 PM
i have just done this x with normal paint, they look fabby :clapping::clapping:

blue bear
15-12-2012, 05:04 PM
I bought some little pots of metallic poster paints and made handprints on canvasses, they came out really well and are three years old now.