PDA

View Full Version : Chicken Pox

kellyg
23-06-2008, 12:30 PM
Hi all

I know this has been covered before but the subject kind of went of a bit so I just wanted to get another more up to date view?

My youngest FT mindee (13 mth) has not come to day as he has had a temp all weekend and has now come out in spots, I suspect chicken pox but his Mum is going to the doc today. Now, if it is how long as an estimate shall I tell the Mum to keep him away for, I dont want the other kids to get it and have a 5 month old doing settling in this week. The little boy is leaving in 2 weeks (hence the 5 mth settling in) and I think he will be of for at least this week - I know until the spots scab over but knowing his Mum her idea of this may not be mine - iykwim??

Shall I say 5 - 7 days but only once all spots have scabbed over? assuming its CP and not some other illness?

Cheers

Banana
23-06-2008, 12:32 PM
My policy on chicken pox is that children are to be kept home until all spots are scabbed over. About a week usually.

x

sarah707
23-06-2008, 01:13 PM
It says on here - 5 days from onset of rash -

http://www.hpa.org.uk/web/HPAwebFile/HPAweb_C/1194947358374

But it does depend on how badly they get it as well.

I am sorry but children are most catching before they come out in the spots, so the others might already have got it ...

Hope he heals quickly! :D

deeb66
23-06-2008, 01:24 PM
I tend to exclude until scabs are dried over.....

Really does depend on the child and how bad they get it.

Mrs M
23-06-2008, 04:31 PM
Hi, my policy states six days or when spots are fully scabbed over. However, as previously mentioned, they are contagious before the spots appear.

miffy
23-06-2008, 05:06 PM
I agree that they should stay off until all the spots have scabbed over.

Also all the spots don't appear at the same time, some children have outbreaks over a few days.

If you think she will try and send him back before they are scabbed over say 7 days.

miffy xx

childminder54
25-06-2008, 10:48 PM
hi i had a child with chickenpox a few weeks ago, as stated spots appear in cluster not at the same time the last place they appeared was on his hands, parent tryed to bring him back after 5 days as she said they had scaped over when i checked him the day before he was due back he still had blisters on his hand so i wouldnt have him back. no other child ii was minding came down with it,,,

veronica