PDA

View Full Version : Only been cm'ing 2 months & sent tax return

MrsP2C
12-12-2012, 06:49 PM
I was an employee (so PAYE) until early September & started CMing 1st October when I duly informed HMRC I was now self-employed. They informed me I wouldn't have to complete a return for this tax year until next year but may be required to pay 50% tax liability up front in April.

So why have I had a letter today with a self-assessment form telling me I have until 31st jan to file my tax return for 2011-2012 - is this right? I have no other assets or income bar previous employment & the loss I'm running at this year.

sarah707
12-12-2012, 07:05 PM
A tax form will come out to you in April - there are different dates for completion depending on whether you do it as a paper form or online.

Hth :D

MrsP2C
12-12-2012, 08:21 PM
Well that's what I thought sarah but I've been sent one to do now within the jan 31st deadline!

sarah707
13-12-2012, 07:54 AM
Give them a ring and check they have sent you the right thing.

If they are asking for self employed figures for the year before you were self employed then they have made a mistake.

Hth :D

MrAnchovy
13-12-2012, 08:17 AM
Something's not right there, ring them up on the number on the letter and check what they are doing. There doesn't seem to be any reason for you to do a return for 11/12, and even if there was they should give you at least three months to do it.

MrsP2C
14-12-2012, 01:44 PM
I realised they are asking for tax year 11/12 when i was continuously employed on PAYE by the same employer so rang to tell them but they are insisting if they sent me one then I must do it regardless. Is this right, is there no way I can get them to reconsider?

MrAnchovy
14-12-2012, 09:31 PM
Unfortunately once a tax return has been issued it cannot normally be withdrawn: there is a proposal to change this in the Finance Bill 2013 but this obviously won't help you.

In advance of this change in the law HMRC has on occasion used its discretionary collection and management powers to withdraw a notice to file a return but this is unusual.

If you have your P60 and P11D (if any) it will only take a few minutes to do the 11/12 return, certainly less time than it would take waiting for them to answer the phone.