PDA

View Full Version : where to put this obs

teacake2
12-12-2012, 04:05 PM
Hi, after some advice please, one of my mindees (24months) was looking at the letters and numbers on the wall and he pointed to and said number 1 and the letter P, he then got some books out and found the same things again and repeated it. I am not quite sure where to link them to as I can't seem to find anything for his age range, any help appreciated please. This is the first time he has done anything like this. He does recognise some colours mainly due to thomas the tank engine - his favourite thing - but just asking him to find things that are blue and he can do it great.
Thanks
Teacake2

sarah707
12-12-2012, 06:14 PM
Recognising letters is a literacy skill... recognising colours comes under arts and design.

:D

teacake2
12-12-2012, 06:18 PM
Thanks Sarah, it is no where as easy to do now I don't think, it was easy to find things that linked to the eyfs before, but now they have cut it down a lot of things I have observed recently don't really fit into anything, or is it just me being thick.
Teacake2

sarah707
12-12-2012, 06:22 PM
No it's not you!

The trick is to remember that it is almost impossible to find exact matches for everything a child says and does.

I've just written this for my blog - It's based on a question a childminder was asking about moving a child up an age and stage in DM but you might find it useful :D

The Development Matters statements are not 'things the child must do before they can move on'.

They are suggestions... ideas... indications... things the child MIGHT have done or said over the last few months.

The child will definitely have done hundreds of different... similar... possibly totally unique and special things as well.

The statements are not and were never intended to be a child development bible.

When you have seen and heard enough SIMILAR things going on to the statements in DM and you know the child is ready to move on in his learning and development just start looking at positive relationships and enabling environments for the next age and stage and thinking about what challenges he might be ready for next!